Chapter Four - Keren's Prophecy

The Lady Éowyn was awake to watch the sun set through her window. Keren entered the room to see her looking grave.

"How are you faring, my lady?" she asked. "Are you well rested?"

The lady turned her sad gaze on Keren, and she was shocked to see that Ioreth was indeed right, and her pale grey eyes were completely empty of hope or peace.

"I am rested," Éowyn said, turning her face once more to the sun. Her voice was low and gentle. "I thank you for the care you have all shown me."

She was so serious, so solemn. Keren wondered if she had ever once smiled in her life, for she could not picture such an expression on her face.

"'Tis our duty, my lady, but also a pleasure," Keren said. "It brings me great joy when I see my work is helping others to be well."

Éowyn did not reply.

"I will bring you some food," Keren offered. "It will do you much good to eat now you are awake."

Éowyn nodded once. Keren quietly retreated from the room.

If that is what all ladies from Rohan are like life must be very dull there, she thought. She is so sad, I do not think I can cure her of that.

Once Keren had prepared the lady a light evening meal, the sun was truly set. Her work was finally over, and she rejoiced in the promise of a proper meal, then rest.

She started off for the kitchens, but before she knew what she was doing, her feet were taking her to the warden's room and to Faramir.

Beregond was still stationed outside, but did not comment on her unplanned arrival. Instead he pointed into the room, then put a finger to his lips.

He's telling him about his father, Beregond mouthed to her.

She looked sadly into the room, remembering how hard it had been for her when her mother died. The warden was there, talking in a low voice to Faramir, looking haggard and ill. Faramir's face was drawn. She stood awkwardly at the threshold, wishing she had not come.

"Keren?" The warden noticed her. "Is it not your rest time now? Go to bed, child."

Keren found her mouth was dry and she could not speak. Faramir was looking at her intently. She swallowed and willed herself to say something.

"I thought I would check on the lord Faramir, as he was originally in my care," she said. "And now I see he is better, so I will go."

She turned to leave.

"Wait!" Faramir's voice called her back. "I – I have not thanked you. I have been told you sat with me and watched over me for all my time here, until I awoke. I thank thee Keren, daughter of Maleron, for demonstrating the love you have for me."

Keren blanched, eyes flying to the warden's face.

"It is a love we all feel for thee," Keren whispered, mortified.

"Aye, lord." The warden agreed, appearing to hear nothing untoward. "The whole city holds you in great renown. Glad we all are to see you returning to health. Would you not agree, Keren?"

She smiled weakly at Faramir, whose eyes, she felt, were boring into hers.

"It fills my heart with joy, my lord," she said. "And now I will bid you goodnight."

"Will you come to me in the morning, once you are rested?" he asked. "I would rather have the care of the one who sat faithfully by my side through my darkest hours."