A New World

"You have such a beautiful mind."

Jerome heard the most beautiful voice in the world. He didn't know who it was. He knew it was woman and loved the gentle way in which she spoke. Otherwise, he wasn't sure of anything else.

Jerome was lying on his back with both eyes closed. It felt as if he were floating, as if a cloud held him up somewhere in the sky. The boy guessed that was fitting. He realized he probably died during the eruption on Death Mountain. After all, his pain was gone. He remembered everything about his life.

"The life you lived in this Oak Shire," said the beautiful voice. "It sounds like it was wonderful."

"It was," said Jerome, trusting the voice. "I lived there with my Mom." He was going to miss his mother. Her name was Beverly. She worked hard to get her son out of the south side of Chicago so they could live in a more peaceful place, a town away from all the turmoil.

"She loved you," said the voice. "You are her precious boy, after all."

Jerome shed a tear. "I was."

"Your friends are nice as well. They really care about you."

"They're Trevor, Sheila and Rebecca. My three closest friends. We tried to find Rebecca. I hope my friends do."

"I have a feeling she will."

"I just met Link and Navi before what happened...I guess I wasn't meant to get to know them all that much."

"Whatever do you mean?"

"I'm dead now. I can look down on them from Heaven, but I can't be with them."

The voice laughed, sounded more delighted than they started out. "You think you passed away, Jerome Bailey?"

"Isn't this Heaven?"

"It's a good place to be, but you can only be around if you're alive. Jerome Bailey...you're a boy of destiny. The story you've written with your life in your old world and this new world is yet to end. Do you want to see your friends again?"

Jerome nodded. "More than anything."

"Why don't you open your eyes?"

Jerome found himself in a glistening room. Its aroma was that of honey and roses. Soft lights glowed in the midst of polished black stone. Jerome was lying on a platform of marble tiles. A golden symbol with three triangles joined together was etched into the surface.

When Jerome sat up, he took a deep breath. He felt around for his wounds and was surprised to realize he wasn't hurt. Then, it dawned on him—he breathed. He was alive.

Jerome looked to his right with a tear-blurred vision. He saw Link, Trevor, Navi and Sheila. Instantly, they embraced one another, laughing out of joy.

"We thought we lost you," Trevor said.

"Me too," said Jerome. "I'm glad you're OK."

"Do you remember us?" Sheila pulled away from the hug, wiping away her own tears.

"I liked the picture you drew me last year," said Jerome. "But I think you did my nose a little wrong. It's OK, I can't draw noses neither."

The red-eyed girl's face blushed. "I'm glad you liked it."

"I remember all of you," said Jerome. "My old friends and the new ones. I don't want to forget any of you for as long as I live."

"Then let's be glad you're with us," said Darunia, who emerged from behind the children. He reached out to Jerome with both hands, wrapping them around the boy's. A smile took over his face.