The Boy Who Forgot His Friends

Picture provided by Zelda Dungeon

"No."

The strange boy Maruka didn't know pulled at his brown hair. "You know us, man! Really, you do! I...I can't believe you don't remember anything!"

Maruka's heart sank. He searched the strange boy's upset face to find something familiar. The strange boy had green eyes, fair skin and was slightly shorter than Maruka. Maruka fought to grasp a memory. He found nothing and it bothered him greatly.

Then the strange boy's face suddenly brightened. He snapped his fingers and pointed at Maruka.

"What about the football game?" he asked. "We beat the fifth graders! What about watching Bears games in Dad's basement! The first time we had to get out of a bad spot when we got lost? Don't you remember any of that? Either of us?"The boy shifted his finger between himself and a girl with red eyes and black hair. Defeated, Maruka shook his head."Rebecca? Anyone? Anything?" Disappointment filled the boy's face when all he had was silence for an answer.

"Good looking out Maruka!"

A long haired Goron swaggered towards both boys. It was Maui, the leader of the Goron Calvary. He grinned from ear-to-ear while heartily slapping Maruka's back.

"Those tektites didn't stand a chance, brotha!" he exclaimed. "You're making a fine hero amongst the mountain folk! You really do fit in."

Maui pointed a thumb the other boy, one who was garbed in green. A glowing orb of light with four wings floated beside him. Calvary members greeted him and Maruka could see the slight discomfort on his face.

"That kid ain't half bad neither," said Maui. "Good use of that sword, I thought the kid was a Hyrule soldier! I just wish his friends did a little more than just stand there. Not that it mattered." Maui crossed his arms over his chest while looking at the strange boy. "You two gotta to protect yourselves with more than just shields if you want to survive Death Mountain!"

Maui pounded his chest with both fists—a typical male Goron greeting—and introduced himself. "We Gorons protect Death Mountain as an army of strong men." He gestured towards the Calvary, who proceeded to put the dead tektites in a pile. Some of them greeted the children in the same way.

"One of us isn't a Goron," Maui continued. "But he might as well be. He keeps showing us that he's about as tough as all of us!" Maui let out a hearty laugh. Maruka watched the strange boy's face change color as his body shook.

"You're the Gorons?"

The blue ball of light floated away from the boy in green, flying toward Maui. When it drew near, Maruka noticed the form of a small woman in the light.

Maui nodded. "Yeah, we're the mountain dwellers with a domain here. We don't get visitors too often. What brings you our way?"

"A quest," answered the winged woman. She gestured toward the boy in green. "We're on a special mission to retrieve something. A spiritual stone. Have you ever heard of that?"

The Goron Calvary froze. Maui frowned. Maleek—he doubled as a Calvary member due to hard times in HyruleCastletown—fumbled with a tektite body. Dominic stopped observing the gathered carcasses and joined his fellow Gorons in showing uneasy looks on their faces.

"Well," said Dominic. "What exactly do you need it for?"

"We need to save Hyrule," said Navi.

"And get home," said the strange boy. "With our of them." He glared in Maruka's direction. Maruka felt uneasy.

"That might be a challenge," said Dominic, straightening his goggles. "It's not exactly on display anymore."

"Who has it?" asked Navi.