Journey to the Summit

Stock photo taken by Clive Kim. Goron Ruby image from Zelda Dungeon.

The Goron healers sulked out of the council chamber, though they tried to hide their feelings. Sheila said that she could see the disappointment in their faces. Her voice broke as she pointed out the truth. Her grip on Trevor and Link's hands tightened.

"Oh no," she whispered as Darunia followed the healers out, his steps weighed down by sorrow. His eyes were heavy from a lack of sleep. The healers were with Jerome all night. Strange scents wafted from the council chamber, arriving in the forms of multi-colored smoke.

"The news," said Darunia after a moment of silence. "Is not good. The poor boy...he lives. He's awake even...but the healers couldn't do anything for the wounds. They've only extended what little time he has left, which wasn't much to begin with." His lips trembled as he clasped a hand over his face. "I'm sorry...great Din, I am sorry my friends..."

Sheila and Trevor started sobbing, though Trevor kept it together after a time. He comforted Sheila while Link and Navi went over to Darunia and placed a hand on his rigid back.

"You did your best," Link said.

"No." The Goron leader removed his hand from his face and finally showed tears. "I failed him. When it came to his role in saving the mountain, he was supposed to help us. Not die for us. What was I thinking allowing him to be put in constant peril. I knew what Dodongo's Cavern could have had...and I failed to protect him."

Link's heart sank at Darunia's guilt. "He's a hero. Jerome didn't care about himself."

"He was like a son to me. If I had a boy, I would want him to be as brave and as bold as anyone else. I wish I did more than pressure him to rise to an occasion. There were times when I lacked tenderness...and he needed that to be built up more."

Navi rested on Darunia's shoulder. "He knows you cared. We could tell."

"I could have cared more."

"Darunia?" Trevor spoke up while Sheila kept crying on his shoulder. "We want to see him," Trevor said. "So...so we can say goodbye."

Darunia didn't even think through the request. He led the children into the chamber where Jerome rested. He was on a makeshift bed, wrapped in many bandages. Some of his uncovered wounds swelled. His breathing was still slow and a bit of a struggle for him. Everyone surrounded the boy, staring at him, unable to understand what they saw.

"Hey," Trevor said. "Bro, we're all here. All of us."

"I hope you can hear us," Sheila said. "We wish you could talk to us."

"Thank you," Link said. "To one of the bravest boys we've ever known."

"We'll..." Trevor choked on his words before letting them out. "We'll miss you."

More crying filled the room and it seemed as if the children were going to wait for the final moment to pass. No one really knew how much time Jerome had left. At least he wouldn't be alone. Link and the others would be sure of that. They would be with him until the very end.

Darunia, Maleek, Maui and the elders were a distance away. The Chieftain looked sadder than anyone else in the room. Then, his face grew angry. He turned his back to the children, facing his fellow Gorons. A hushed discussion happened. Then, Darunia turned to the children again and joined them at Jerome's bed side.

"We must hurry," he said. "I'm going to have these men take the bed. You'll come with us. So will some other Calvary men."

The sobbing stopped for a moment as the children looked at Darunia, completely confused. "What?" Trevor asked.