↬ | chapter twelve

Start from the beginning

   "Hmm, you still feel that way Magnolia?" 

   The brunette squinted her eyes and shrugged nonchalantly, a way of saying she wasn't sure. 

   "Hey, Mags. Can I talk to you in a sec when you're done?" Bellamy's head peeked through the opening of the tent, glancing between the girl and her mother. Hopefully he hadn't heard anything. She nodded silently in reply as the boy went away— at least she believed he did. 

   "Who was that? You made friends, hm?" curiosity peeked through Ella's face.

   "Either way, it's none of your damn business," she spat quickly— quite frankly, it wasn't. Besides, with Bellamy's track record on the Ark as of late, it was better for his name to stay out of their mouths. 

   "Not surprising. Oh, I can't wait to see you when your father and I make it to Earth, Magnolia," Mrs. Gray switched the topic, making Maggie sigh loudly. When was this conversation going to be over? Was she done? "We'll have fun— it'll be just like it used to be. You're still good at stealing, aren't you?"

   "Things aren't going to be like they used to. Even if you do come down here, and you are on the first ship, you'd both have heart attacks before you could catch me. I'm eighteen now— I don't have to associate with you!"

   "If you say so. But just knowing that we're down here is enough to keep you paranoid," Maggie's mom smirked, and the teenager couldn't help but chew on her cheek. Her mother might've been a complete asshole, but she somehow still managed to know what would get under the girl's skin. She had been entirely correctly— that would bother her. Beyond belief. It would cloud her brain every second of every day— constantly looking over her shoulder to the point where she couldn't get even the simplest of tasks completed. 

   "Well," Magnolia began, acting calm when her mind was buzzing inside, "I suppose we'll just have to wait and see. Won't we?"

   "You would be right," Ella nodded in confirmation. "Goodbye, Magnolia."

   "Stick it up your ass," Maggie spat, taking the headset off with a huff as she watched her mother walk out of the frame.

   Exiting the drop ship, the girl made her way to Bellamy, who wasn't very far away, to talk to him. She wouldn't know it— but he was listening in on every word that Magnolia let out. Her mother's voice could barely be heard by anyone that wasn't wearing the headphones, but Bellamy could easily sense the tension between the two. The words that Maggie had been spitting out were all backhanded and intimidating— he expected to have some kind of explanation as to why the Gray girl was the way she was, but it only made him more confused. 

   And curious. He wanted to know everything about her, and it made him wonder why he was so determined to uncover her story. Why Magnolia Gray? What made her stand out amongst the delinquents? 

   "Hey— what'd you want me for?" Maggie inquired to Bellamy, who was zipping up his bag as Clarke stood alongside him. 

   "Apparently, there's a supply depot not too far from here," Clarke explained for him. "We figured you'd want to join."

   "Leaders trip— hm?" Maggie lips pursed as her fellow female leader gave a stiff nod with a small, meaningless smile. 

   With that thought alone, the three ventured off— Magnolia still wearing that leather jacket on her back that did absolutely nothing for her. 

△▽△

   "You know— the first drop ship is coming down soon. Pretty sure you can't avoid Jaha forever," Clarke commented as the three made their way through the leafless trees. Winter was approaching, fast.