♚3

Snow fell from outside the windows as Lefu sat up in her hospital bed.

A knock was heard on the door, and she watched a boy with dark hair walk in. He wore a black shirt and a skull ring on his finger - an ironic appearance since he was carrying a bundle of colorful tulips. It made her feel like the bright colors were normal, and the boy was an alien.

"Uh, sorry about the tulips." He said shyly, gesturing to the slightly dying flowers that he held. He placed the flowers in a small vase on the bedside table, then looked around the room awkwardly.

"The doctors told me that you have some memory loss."

Lefu nodded her head, wondering why the boy was so hesitant around her.

"I'm-er- Nico Di Angelo, I was a friend of yours."

"Well," she replied with a slight smile, "it'd be a pleasure to get to know you once again, Nico Di Angelo."

Nico messed with his skull ring on his finger anxiously. "They're calling you the 'miracle girl' out in the halls."

Lefu raised her eyebrows, "Why?"

"You were hit with a car but you didn't die or break any bones. The worst that happened was your memory loss and a few stitches on your shoulder." He said slowly.

Lefu looked out the window. She felt...strange being around Nico Di Angelo. She kept getting a tugging feeling in her stomach, almost making it feel like Nico was hiding something.

"When will I be let out?"

"Tomorrow, actually."

She nodded her head silently, messing with the white bed sheet. Lefu wondered what their relationship was like before the accident. Did they have their own inside jokes? Could he casually talk to her without these awkward silences?

"Anyways, when you're let out tomorrow, I'll be here in the lobby."

"T..thanks."

He weakly smiled, then left the room, and Lefu sat in silence once again.

-

What were you supposed to say to a dead person that had just been resurrected? Nico had no clue, so he had tried to have a casual conversation with Lefu, although he wasn't very good at that either.

The next morning, he sat in the lobby, waiting for Lefu to show up. After having people go through files and papers, she walked downstairs in fresh clothes. It was likely she would be put into an orphanage until someone could contact her mother, so Nico's time with her was restricted now.

She walked in slowly, bundled up in a new jacket, the black hat he saw at the accident placed lightly on her head. It kind of shook Nico as he saw her walk out, looking similar to the day she died.

Was it right to do what he had done?

"Hey," Lefu said as she stopped at his side, "...so where are we going?"

Nico almost slapped himself. Where were they going? He definitely didn't plan anything, he was just kinda hoping she'd just suddenly get happy and he'd be done. His first objective for an idea would be somewhere with very few talking involved, and somewhere that wasn't far of a walk.

"The bookstore?" Nico had said, making it sound more like a question.

They walked for a while when suddenly Lefu chuckled. "Sorry, I'm kind of awkward," she muttered, "I bet we talked a lot before I had memory loss."

Nico chose not to say anything in response to her comment. "....Lefu, what happened to your mother?"

"I don't know. I bet she's looking for me, though."

Nico looked at the girl who walked at his side, sunlight practically pouring from her. This girl's history...seemed dark. The spirit she had beckoned for meant something to her, and now she had no recollection of who he was anymore.

They continued to walk, talking about different things and asking each other questions until they finally reached the bookstore.

-

Nico Di Angelo was a good guy. He really was. You probably wouldn't have been able to tell from his apparel: the skull ring, black clothes, and dark circles under his eyes, but he cared about other people.

Lefu walked with him to the book store, having small discussions with him down the sidewalk. They walked inside a small store, filled with books from the floor to the ceiling. Her mouth practically fell open at the sight.

How could they put so many books in such a small store?

She looked around, her fingers tracing over all the different covers. It was an older bookstore, mostly containing books that were antique. Before her amnesia, had she read any books? As of right now, it didn't matter. Every single book was new to her. Every single book contained a story in which she would be delighted to read.

Lefu picked up a classic book called 'Alice in Wonderland' and before she had even reached the check out, she had spotted a book on greek mythology that had taken her interest. As she waited in line, Nico walked up to her.

He eyed the books in her arms, "You want those two?"

She nodded, and when they reached the counter he had handed over some money.

"Nico, you don't have t-"

He cut her off by handing her the bag with her books, beginning to walk out of the store.

Yeah, Nico was a nice guy. He had tried so hard to cover it, but it didn't go unnoticed.

"Hey! Nico!" She called out to him, running up to his side and catching his coat sleeve. "You didn't have to pay."

He looked at her, then at her fingers that held a small part of his coat, and Lefu quickly let go in embarrassment.

Nico glanced over at her as they continued to walk back to the hospital. "They were just a few books."

They both fell silent for a moment, walking through the cold and loud city, side by side. Lefu adjusted the bag to her left arm, when suddenly a burning pain hit her shoulder. She let out a yelp, dropping the bag of books onto the ground by her feet. She had completely forgotten about the stitches on her left shoulder.

"Here," Nico sighed as he picked up the plastic bag, "I'll hold it."

She was about to object, but caught herself before she said anything, not wanting another argument.

They continued to have small talk as they walked back to the hospital.