Chapter 8

I'm back in my room in District 13 and it's five days after Boggs died. I apparently, popped my shoulder out of place that night, but they popped it back in and it's better. I'm on pain killers as well. I keep replaying everything that happened in my head. That night, we got back and we had to go down to the lower bunks, because we were still on lockdown. Peeta had to be far away from everyone in a different room. They thought it was too risky to have him here while I was asleep. To be honest, I didn't sleep at all, maybe for a half hour, but that's it.

I go to our meeting room, where Coin, Plutarch, and the rebels sit. The past couple days, we've been training as hard as we can for final battle, including Peeta and Johanna. Today, I think we finally have a break, but, I may be wrong.

"Thank you, for joining us. We have declared the final war with the Capitol and all the Districts are finally in. We start tomorrow." Plutarch says.

"We don't have a leader." Finnick says.

Plutarch states, "And, that's why we've all been training."

"And is.." Finnick motions his head toward Peeta, who sits quietly, doing the same thing he always does with his hands. Finnick keeps motioning his head toward him till Plutarch gets the point.

Then Peeta says, without anyone expecting, "Me? Yeah, I am. I mean, why wouldn't I?" Everyone shifts there heads toward Peeta because, we all know why.

Johanna isn't stable enough to go.

"Yes, Peeta is going." Plutarch says. "This is the plan. We leave at 7:00 in the morning and we will land you guys on the ground farther away from the people. Citizens are supposed to meet up near the Capitol building for a message everyday. You guys will be covered in different clothing, but protectant underneath so no one recognizes you. You guys will travel through the Capitol. It may take a couple days, so you may need to find places to sleep. You guys will have to go underground. Nothing you guys haven't been through with training."

All I can think to myself is, I'm back in the games, but this time I know who I'm going to kill, Snow.

***

It's 3:00am and I, again, can't sleep. I toss and turn in my cold bed. I feel that I'm going back in the games. I fear, that if I go to bed, I'll have another nightmare. I say the same words in my head over and over again. My name is Katniss Everdeen. I am seventeen years old. My home is District 12. I was in the Hunger Games. I escaped. The Capitol hates me...

I do this to remind myself why I'm doing what I'm doing, it calms me down in a certain way. Prim, Gale, and even Peeta are my priorities in a few hours. Prim will be a nurse aiding people when needed and I can't be there. Gale and Peeta will be in battle and I can't loose them booth. I guess I'm just thinking of the worst tonight. But what good is there? I woke up, but that's not too good. My family is here, at least what's left of it. Peeta is back, but brain washed. One day, I'll be able to say that something is good, I'll maybe have my own family. There won't be any games, and Everything will be at peace.

A loud pound comes to my door and I spring up. I go to answer it and it's Finnick.

"Katniss, we have to go." He looks like he's gone crazy. Probably because he feels he's going back in the games too.

"Go where?!"

"Go battle."

"Already?"

"They're making us leave earlier, so we don't get caught." He tells me. I take a deep breath and look at Prim who's still sleeping. I kneel beside her and kiss her forehead and say goodbye. It might be the last time I ever see her.

Haymitch, Plutarch, Coin, and Effie meet us at the hovercraft before we go in.

"Good morning, here are everyone's ear pieces. We'll be communicating through these, and please," he looks to me. "listen to us." I put my head down because, there's a chance that I will do exactly that. "You'll here either of us talking to you." Plutarch says.

Haymitch steps forward to talk to me. "You okay?" He's actually sober for once.

"Yeah." I swallow hard.

"You'll be fine. You survived the games twice. We'll see you when you get back." He smirks, and I lung in for a hug, because that's what I need right now. When I let go, he smiles at me one last time. I get into the hovercraft and I have my battle outfit on but a long coat overtop so no one can tell who I am. I'm as nervous as I was entering the first games. I sit next to Finnick and next to Gale on my other side, I doze off five or six times until we get there.

"Katniss, did you sleep at all?" Gale asks.

"No." I say like I'm ashamed.

"Everything's going to be okay." He reassures me, and I give him a nod. We finally land and it's time to quietly find a place to stay. We rush from the hovercraft into a cold abandoned building, and we all listen for voices. We don't hear anything so finally we hear Plutarchs voice in our earpieces. "Okay guys, best thing to do tonight is to travel as close as you can to the Capitol. Around 5:00, you'll hear bombs start to hit the surface, so that means, make sure you get underground."

"Copy that." Gale says into his mic. I look to Peeta and he's handcuffed standing next to Finnick. He has a gun in his hands, he's able to have it at his own risk until he attacks. I see him glance at me while I'm looking at him and I quickly shift my eyes away.

We start running quietly, but we didn't last five minutes, we get stopped by a Peacekeeper, and he points his gun to me and says, "State your business." My heart starts to pound because I have no idea what to say. I listen to my earpiece and Before Haymitch can say anything, a gun shot goes off, but the bullet is not in me. I look to my left and Peeta has shot the Peacekeeper.

Haymitch says quickly "Run! Run!"

We run as fast as we can to the nearest abandoned building, there's a lot because we're farther away from the Capitol. We all kneel down and stay quiet except for the sound of us catching our breaths.

"Someone take this from me." Peeta says handing us his gun. You can see how afraid he is of his eyes and hear it in his voice.

"No, Peeta its okay. You potentially saved Katniss." Finnick says, whispering still so no one outside hears us.

"I know what I was doing..." He says and looks to me. "but I can't have an attack with a gun in my hand."

****Authors note, sorry this chapter is so short, but I'm going to make more Everlark in the next! Thank you for reading! Follow me @the.mockingjsy on Instagram!