Chapter 2

Tears are streaming down Peeta's face and his hands are in handcuffs. I havnt seen him sense the attack and he looks horrible. His cheeks are sunken in and bruises surround his eyes. Scratches stream down his face, and I imagine its from him scratching himself. He looks skinnier than ever, and his hair is all scraggly. my heart starts to pound as Peeta looks around the room, and I'm hoping he doesn't see me. but then as he looks straight a the glass infront of me, then straight into my eyes, he doesnt react, he looks back at Finnick. I then realize this is a one way glass. I wonder if anyone knows Finnick is doing this.

Peeta looks frustrated as he talks to Finnick. I try to look at their lips to imagine the words they are forming, but I can't. Soon Finnick gets up to leave the table, but Peeta sits there staring at the table and his folded hands. I stand there waiting for Finnick to come out.
"Finnick?" I say, unsure of what really to say.

"Katniss." he says smiling. But why would he be smiling? He knows Iv'e seen Peeta and he knows he's not in a good state.

"Are you suposed to be here." When I say this, I can start to feel my voice getting shakier.

"I started to walk to the cafeteria and I noticed this room, and I had a feeling..." his voice starts to get a little shaky too, and his smile begins to disappear. "...that, Peeta would be in here." he takes a deep breath.

"Finnick, be honest with me. No one else is." I start to feel my eyes sting as tears flow to them.

"katniss, he's not okay. At first he acted fine, but then you could start to hear the panic in his voice as I question him..." Now tears are streaming down my face and the hairs on my arms stick up, and a tear streams down Finnicks face.
"...about you, he..." he takes a deep breath. "...He became infurated and his eyes got narrow. he called you a mutt, Katniss. His voice got louder just as he was speaking about you. You could see him start to sweat."
I want to cry harder, but I know it won't do much.

"He couldnt!" but soon I realize, that he could, because I am a mutt. "I am a mutt Finnick! He wants to kill me." Finnick looks back through the glass, then back at me, and Peeta sits there, wiping away tears but still crying.

"Katniss, do you see him? His trying to make his way through to you. What else could he be crying about? He realizes what has happened to him. You can tell just by talking to him. He says that something is wrong with him, and he can't control himself so much. He realizes that."
This makes me want to just see what Peeta would do if I saw him again. I can't except the fact that he hates me, so I head for the door past Finnick into the room where Peeta is.
"Katniss, no!" Finnick gasps as I head for the door handle and he grabs my arm. I look back at him and tears are at the brim of his eye lids. I realize I can't go into the room without an army behind me, so I pull away from him, and go.

Iv'e heard enough and I walk away from Finnick. Just as I walk away, everyone starts to enter the hallways rushing to their next activiy. I'm excused from mine for awhile. I start to walk quicker so no one catches me, and so I can go off and be alone. I go to my room, quickly to write Prim or whoever reads it, a note. I'm going to the woods". The only place I feel is my home. I get my fathers jacket on, and grab my bow and arrows and head out quickly. Thankfully, no one notices me and I get to the woods. I find a peice of cement to sit on and as soon as I know it, I start to cry. Tears stream down my face as I sit there helplessly. This is the hardest I've cried sense the first games, when I was in the arena and Rue just died. I feel exactly the same as I did then. Useless, like I can't help anyone. I feel sealed in a glass boxed as I see everone I love outside the box hurt, and I can't do anything to help them.

An hour, which felt like a few minutes, just went by. I decide to get up to go back to my room. When i get there, I lay on my bed, and grab Peeta's pearl and rub it between my two fingers. I do this to sooth myself to sleep. I imagine all the good times Peeta and I have had together, including when he gave me the pearl. I start to shut my eyes, but there's a knock on the door, so I sit up.

"Hello Soldier Everdeen, How are you feeling?" Boggs comes in, with a few others trailing behind him, Haymitch, Beetee, Plutarch and Gale.

"I'm fine. Why are you guys here?" I say without enthusiasm.

"we thought we might do some training." Says Boggs.

"I thought it might get your mind off somethings." Says Plutarch.

"We're just training?"

"Yes. We will go over drills and such." Says Boggs.

I realy don't feel like it, but Plutarch is right, it'll get my mind off somethings. "Okay, but can I just talk to Plutarch and Beetee." These words had flown out of my mouth without any regard Although, I guess I feel desperate for information on Peeta.
Plutarch snickers then turns to everyone except for Beetee, and signals them out of the room. They leave and Plutarch closes the door behind him. Plutarch looks to me and so does Beetee. He flicks his hands I assume telling me to speak.

"Has anyone figured anything out about Peeta?"

"Katniss, we have done many tests on him, and it is proven, that he has been hijacked by memories with you, such as ones in the arena of you killing people but also memories with both you and Peeta, contorted into a different way than they happened. This causing Peeta to see you in a horrible way, killing people and hurting him as well." says Beetee.

"So, Peeta attacked me because he thinks I'm trying to hurt him?" a cold sweat flows through my body as I try to imagine my life now, without. A life without Peeta at my side, and a life living full of guilt.

"Basically. Now, there is a way we can try and fix it, but its going to take a lot of practice."

"What? What is it?" I say this and I feel a slight grin spread across my face.

"We have footage of you guys in the arena and we found someone who can convince him you're good and tell him about memories that happened thats not on footage. we would show him or tell him about the good times between you too and keep doing so, until he sets that into his mind, that he does love you, and soon, become himself."

"Well, who would tell him about the memories?" I ask.

"One of hs childhood friends, Delly. We've had them meet once already and he rosponded to her well."

Anything can help. I'm despreate. I love him, I know I truly do, but I just wish I could speak to him once and everything would be back to the way it was, I don't want to wait.