Chapter 13

I step back and the expression on his face is confusion. I don't know what to say and neither does he, so he looks at me blankly and I rush out the door. I close it softly behind me and walk to my bed. When I flip on my side I look to the bottom of the door where the light shines. Soon the light goes black and I flip back onto my back with the thought that he hates me. The thought makes me go crazy and I squeeze my eyes shut and a tear escapes. I soon fall into a deep sleep.

****

I'm awakened by the sound of groaning and talking. I've forgotten that I'm still in a hospital. I sit up in my bed and notice the rebels, who were around me, are gone. I get up from my bed and go to our meeting room. I open the door and Haymitch is talking to everone.

"Finally your up. We've figured because of everything that happen yesterday, we've moved the date to kill Snow, to today."

"Okay." I say agitated because I just woke up.

"Im going to glue this to the inside your ear." He holds up an ear piece. I roll my eyes and sit down next to Gale. I look across the table, not paying attention to anything Haymitch is saying, and I see Peeta look away once I make eye contact with him like he was looking at me. The only thing that I get out of Haymitch when he's talking is that we leave in twenty minutes. There's no stoping. You sleep, wake up and your out the door.

After our meeting, we head out and travel to a nearby underground passage, Finnick, Peeta, Gale, Castor, Pollux, Cressida, and I. As my combat boots hit the ground and splash a bit of water, the feeling of revenge flows through my body and determination fills my eyes. Everyone else follows behind me and suddenly my focus is ruined by the sound of Haymitch's voice coming in on my earpiece that is now jammed into my ear. "The citizens are going to be near the Capitol building anytime now so you guys have to hustle. Katniss and Gale, there's a door on the side of the building that you can open easily if you kick it open, but wait until you hear me tell you it's safe to do it. Pollux, Castor, and Finnck, you guys will shoot down Peacekeepers at the same time. We want everything to happen at the same time. Beetee disabled all their cameras." As Haymitch keeps talking we keep walking through the underground area with our flashlights out. The thought of Peeta crosses my mind and I look to him. He looks more awake than he has been in a while. I just want to know what he's thinking one hundred percent of the time. I can never tell by the expression on his face anymore, it looks like he doesn't even want to be here, he hates me, he loves me, or he's just out of it. He trails behind Finnick like always and looks down at his shoes, which are double knotted. Haymitch's voice takes my thoughts off of Peeta and I decide to listen again. "Snow will be in a chair on the balcony of his mansion and we will lead you up there. Make sure you have your earpieces in this whole time, Katniss," he mutters. "Or else we'll postpone this again."

"Copy that." Gale says.

We keep walking and there isn't much talking, just the sound of our boots swifting against the ground as we walk. I wipe the sweat off of my forehead with the back of my hand and run the same thing through my head over and over again hoping I don't go insane after this.
"My name is Katniss Everdeen.
I was in the Hunger Games twice.
I escaped...
Prim's dead..."
I shake my head to get rid of the horrific thought and then I continue. "My name is Katniss Everdeen..."

"Are you sure you're ready for this?" Gale says to me, but I'm too distracted from my own thoughts and he asks again a bit louder.

"Yeah..." But at the same time, I feel like I'm not. It's not my thing to kill people. But I have to kill Snow. But I can't. I continue to argue with myself...

"You don't sound like it." He says.

"I can do it..." I say. You can hear the uncertainty in my voice.