Chapter 1

Katniss POV
Dead silence feels the air as I lay there on the cold hospital bed and a neck brace wrapped around my neck. I can only replay the images of Peeta attacking me. I couldn't have happened, no one could change the way Peeta thinks about me although, it did happen and I can't change that.

The door opens and its Prim.
"Hey, Katniss. How are you feeling"

"How could this happen Prim. How could I let this happen." I say with a lump in my throat, staring blankly at the ceiling.

"Katniss, you didnt let this happen-"

I cut her off because I'm so infuriated with myself. I did let this happen. I didn't stay with him that night in the arena, and I most definitely do not deserve him. He did everything he could to keep me alive, even when I didn't know him.
"I left him, Prim! I didn't love him the way I should have." I say getting irritated.

"I don't think you realized how much you loved him, Katniss. You know he loves you, and if you and him both fight your way back to each other, everything could be the way it was."
Prim always gives the best advice, but I start to think, maybe he's better off without me. I shouldn't try to get back to him, because I don't deserve him.
Sure enough, I state that to Prim.

Prim says, "if you were the one hijacked, he would do everything to get you back, even if you haven't been the best to him."
I hate that she's right. It makes me feel like a coward. I start to close my eyes and a tear escapes. Soon the room falls silent, and I fall asleep.

As soon as I wake, a nurse comes in to check on my neck. I'm well enough for her to take the brace off. The purple bruises on my neck can be visible from a mile away and I'm embarrassed so I pull up the collar on my jumpsuit. I walk down to the cafeteria and I sit quietly down by Haymitch and Gale, hoping they don't notice the bruises.
"Hey Katnip." Gale says to me with a smile on his face. I'm not sure if everyone knows what happened so I don't bring it up.
"Hey." I say exhaling my exhaustion and embarrassment, while I still look down at the table. Gale looks back down at his breakfast. The same thing everyday, eggs and whole wheat toast and a cup of water.

Haymitch looks up at me and greets me, "hey, sweet heart." Which surprisingly, he looks better than me. Maybe he's becoming a normal human who doesn't rely on alcohol so much.

I smirk, "hey."

A broad cast comes on the TV and Snow appears. My Stomach drops and a cold rush flows through my body and the hairs on my arms stick up. He's dressed in all white with those horrify roses sitting on the edge of his desk. I can just imagine the smell of those roses with a hint of blood.

"Panem, each and everyday, we, the Capital, supply the districts generously. Rebelling against the Capital will only destroy Panem. Together, Panem can become one of the greatest nations know. You can chose your fate, but remember, the Capital can overcome the power of anything.

Panem Today, Panem Tomorrow, Panem Forever."

The broadcast cuts out. After silence falls, forks begin to hit plates again and all of us act as if the broadcast didn't just happen.
"What was that supposed to mean?" I say to Haymitch.

"I don't know, they could be hiding something, or trying to distract the districts"

"Distract?" Snow keeps enough secrets, he could be hiding another.

"Make them think they're better off without the rebellion. He could be planing something and trying to make the districts feel that everything is okay. He's been doing it this whole time."

I try to distract myself from any further thoughts and get up to leave to my room. Gale grabs my arm behind me.
"Where are you going? You didn't eat."

"I don't feel like eating." I say sharply.

"Come on Katniss, you haven't eaten in a couple of days-"

"Can you just let me go to my room for a bit, I don't feel so well.' I say this with more anger in my voice then I intended, and yes, I feel fine.

Gale lets go of my arm and turns around, this makes me feel guilty, but I'm getting use to that feeling. I walk to my room but on the way there I see the sign "Mental" on a door post, I wonder if this is were Peeta is. I open the door slightly, and no one is in here. I close the door behind me quietly and walk a little further leading to another room with a bright light, but only one in this dark room. I walk a little further, and I see in a window, Peeta at one end of the table, and Finnick at the other.