ANCHOR

I stood at the centre of the ring, landing the last punch on his face, while the crowd cheered around me. But all I could hear was the sound of my pounding heart as adrenaline coursed through my body.

I didn't know Vampires had hearts as well, guess becoming one does teach you a lot. I stepped out of the ring, the crowd parted,  cheering; but still scared of the killing machine I had become.

My mind wandered back to my recent past, just a single month back. I had stood up on the top of the Eiffel tower, with an arm clasping around the love of my life. I had looked into her eyes, glistening full of life and hope, looking forward to the future, after I had just proposed her.

And now a month later when we were supposed to be getting married, I stood in the underground, dirty tunnel, as the people cheered around me for blood. But what they didn't know was that I didn't just crave to see blood, but consume it, as it would flow through my veins.

I walked out of the tunnel through a dirty alley, looking for a prey for tonight, just like the day from the past month. Only that day I was the one who had become a prey instead. Oh how I regretted leaving Lisa sleeping soundly on the bed, as I walked out to get some stuff. I had resisted for so long but my thirst to get high was too overwhelming.

Just once, only a little bit won't hurt.

Oh how wrong I was; instead I had fallen prey to the creature of the night. But instead of killing me off, that idiot left me alive to change, to turn into this monster, ruining my whole life ahead.

My skin sizzled the moment the sun had risen, and I ran, ran to find some safety. I had thought about going back to my dear Lisa. But I couldn't dare, the need for ripping out throats was was very much unbearable, the last sane thoughts kept me from going in search of her.

It was then, they found me, as I  rampaged the streets leaving dead bodies in my wake. They saved me, from myself. I had now found a way to chanel my anger. That was how I ended up in this underground fight club.

After the exhausting duel in the ring my eyes wandered through the passage of the stinking alley, looking for some healthy individual who could spare some blood for me. Just then my eyes fell on a small figure, the person had a hood up, covering their face. I wasted no time as I grabbed the back of the person's neck pulling the hood off to baring the crook of the neck, for me to sink in my fangs. But as I did so, her bun of golden hair broke loose and cascaded down her back, shining in the moon light. And I froze as the very much familiar scent overwhelmed me, not the blood but the sweet strawberry that I had come to love in the past year.

She turned towards me. Our eyes met and everything happened in slow motion, as she gaped at the fangs still pushing through my lips. I knew she would run away. I knew she'd be too afraid to even listen. So, I just stood right there, frozen in my spot, not daring to move a muscle, waiting for her to run away, to look at me with fear, disgust as well. I let my fangs subside, and I knew the black orbs of my eyes were also fading into their original emeralds.

But she did something, that I hadn't dared to imagine, even in my dreams. She threw her arms around my neck and sobbed, "Do you even know how much I looked for you? How much I suffered! All alone in this city of love. Where my lover faded off on the wisp of air, on the night when we promised each other a forever. How could you do that to me!"

Not daring to put my hands to clasp her tiny waist I asked,"Are you not scared? Are you not disgusted with this," I pointed at myself, "of the monster that I have become." I was afraid that she'd admit her disgust and tell me that I'm not the person she fell in love with.

But instead she clasped my face in her tiny hands, her thumbs running along my lips, feeling the sharp canines beneath,"We promised each other forever, didn't we? This th-thing, it doesn't change the way I feel for you. But I'll need time to adjust." Saying this she pressed her lips to mine, neither of us daring to move.

At that moment I felt complete. Like the lost piece of myself had finally found its way back. And that is how I found my anchor.

An Anchor to keep me grounded to my humanity.

A/n: Hey guys!

      I don't usually put up author notes here, but this the longest one shot I have written so far, so it deserved a mention!
        I write these spontaneously, like I don't even know how the story is going to end when I start writing. It's reckless, but thrilling, and I love writing this way. I hope you love my darling vamps too.

I purple you guys 💜
(If u know what I mean;))