2013 (12)

Shawn looked with curious eyes when someone whispered something on the teacher's ear and then he called Camila who grabbed her stuff and ran out of the classroom. All the class looked at what had happened but the teacher tried not to give it too much attention and said it was a family matter, which calmed down the rest but not Shawn. He couldn't concentrate on the lesson, today more than other days, and when the bell rang he almost ran out of the classroom.

He spotted Jess by her locker and jogged to her.

"Have you heard about Camila?", he asked her rapidly.

Jess looked at him confused.

"No, I was waiting for her", she said.

"She isn't here. Something happened and she left in the middle of class".

"What do you mean?"

"I don't know, Mr. Osher just said it was a family matter".

"I'll try to call her", she said and took her phone out of her pocket but Shawn had already texted Camila and it hadn't worked.

"I'll call my mom", he said and wandered away trying to get a hold of his mom.

"Hi, honey. You are at school, right?", Karen said when she picked up, a bit suspicious that her son was calling.

"Yes, I'm here. I just wanted to know if you knew something about Camila's family. She left a while ago and the teacher said it had to do with her family".

"No, I don't know anything", she frowned on the other side of the line. "I'll call Sinu and see what's going on, ok? Don't worry".

"No, I'm not worried... I just though you would be interested in that", he said awkwardly because he didn't like his mom thinking more of their friendship. She always did that and he hated it.

"Thank you for telling me then. I'll see what's going on", she said and they hung up.

"So...?", Jess asked standing behind him.

"She doesn't know", Shawn said.

"Camila didn't pick up".

"It's probably nothing", he tried to say.

"Yeah...", Jess murmured not so sure. "But tell me if your mom knows something".

"Of course. See you at lunch?"

"Yes".

Shawn walked to his next class with a strange feeling in his chest. Camila had never left class like that before and it was unlike her not to message back when she always had her phone on her hand. He tried not to think much about it but it was difficult when they had almost the same classes and he missed her on each one of them.

He was the one to excuse her absence on the chemistry class and made sure to actually take notes since she wasn't there. He thought back of the time she had taken notes for him when he had his appendix removed. He knew it was because her mom had asked her and she wasn't very happy about it, but she did it and it really helped him, so he was trying to return the favor.

Call me when you're out of class, his mom texted him and his stomach squeezed. Was something wrong?

Time moved extremely slow while he waited for this class to be over, but as soon as he could, he took his phone and rang her mom.

"Mom, what's going on?", he asked her immidiately.

"It's Sinu", she said with sorrow in her voice. "She had a miscarriage and they are all at the hospital".

"Oh my God..."

"I can't believe it. They must be all devastated", she murmured.

"Mom, I have to go", he said not knowing how to continue the conversation.