"No, but I was kinda hoping, you know." You stirred your cereal as Gray raised his eyebrows, standing with an empty bowl. He went to wash it as you crossed one knee over the other. "It's okay."

"Yeah, things'll all work out." Gray pointed down at that word and you smiled and nodded. He headed down, pre-workout in hand as he left the room.

"Yeah-- is Gray up?" You hummed.

"Yeah, he's just heading down to workout." You heard her sigh and Elle in the background. "Is she up?"

"Yeah, we're having breakfast because daddy's sleeping in." You smiled, spooning cereal into your mouth. "And speaking of them, their birthday's coming up in a few weeks. You sighed.

"I know, are we going to do something special?" You stirred your cereal as you thought.

"I was hoping to? What did you have in mind?" You shrugged, even though she couldn't see you "Well, I was thinking maybe dinner?" You hummed. "Dinner-- I don't know if either of them'll want a party-- oh, good morning." You smiled as you heard E in the background.

"Who's on the phone?" you heard him ask.

"It's y/n-- y/n, I'll talk to you later, okay?" You hummed.

"Of course, say hi to Elle for me."

You decided to head down with your cereal to watch Gray work out. You didn't have much to do anyway. He was in the middle of a pushup as you dropped onto a mat, cereal in your lap. "Hey," he said, pulling an earbud out.

"Hi." He smiled, finishing up with his set. "What do you want for your birthday?" He raised his eyebrow.

"My birthday?" He nodded. "Uh-- you don't have to get me anything." You rolled your eyes.

"Yeah, but I will anyway, so is there anything you want?" He smiled, sitting on his knees.

"Y/N, really--" He sighed as he stood. "You don't have to get me anything." You set your bowl on the floor and leaned back. "You do lots for me already." You raised an eyebrow.

"Like what?" He chuckled, sitting on his bench.

"You clean all the time," he said, thinking. "You bake me stuff when you have the time-- you literally iron all of my shirts."

"You're saying I'm like your trophy wife or something-"

"No, no," he said quickly. "Not like that-- that's not what I meant." You smiled, head tilted. "You're, like, real nice to me and shit, y/n, you're a great wife, you know?"

"Why thank you."

"So, yeah, don't do anything, okay?"

"Mhm, we'll see."

---

"Hey," Grayson mumbled, rubbing his eyes. You looked up, tears in your eyes. "Hey, what's--what's goin' on?"

"Gray--"

"What're you doin'?" He walked further into the kitchen and frowned. "Are you melting wax?" You began to cry. "Hey," he mumbled, wrapping an arm around you.

"I messed it up."

"Why are you trying to wax at two in the morning?" He turned the stove off.

"No!" you cried. "No, I'm trying to-- I was trying to make you a candle." He pulled the pan you were using to melt the wax onto the other burner. The pan you'd stupidly added water to.

 "Why?"

"For your birthday," you whispered. He looked down. "Happy birthday," you mumbled.

"Oh, y/n." He kissed you on the head and pulled away. "You were trying to make me a candle?"