Act I, Scene VIII

Start from the beginning

Lucy was beside herself. "You are half vampire, and half mortal?" she asked.

"I am both, and I am neither," Virgil replied. "A spieces all of my own, claiming attributes from both bloodlines. All of their strengths, none of their weaknesses."

"Stop this," Dr. Reed interjected, but his words went unheard by both Virgil and Lucy.

"And what does one do with such limitless ability?" Lucy eyed the rapier at Virgil's side, not bothering to hide her skepticism. "I highly doubt you are a member of the royal guard."

Virgil shook his head. "I am a hunter."

"And what do you hunt?"

"Stop this now!" Dr. Reed commanded.

Virgil grinned. "I hunt vampires."

Lucy leapt backward, hackles raised. She took refuge behind Dr. Reed, a low growling sound she didn't recognize emanating from the back of her throat.

Dr. Reed's jaw clenched. He jabbed a finger at Virgil's chest. "I told you to stop this!"

Virgil held up his hands in mock surrender. "Calm yourselves! My goodness!" he exclaimed with a blithesome laugh. "It is either far too late, or far too early, to be in such a state of agitation. Lucy, come out."

Lucy stood on her toes, peeking at Virgil from over Dr. Reed's shoulder.

Virgil chuckled at her sudden and newfound reservation. "Vampires like you, and Thomas, have nothing to fear from me," he assured her, his voice soft and melodic. "You have your faculties. You have sense and moral code. I hunt and slay only those that cause risk to human life and ignorance."

Lucy narrowed her eyes at the dhampir. "You say that as if ignorance is something best preserved."

"Isn't it? In this nuance?" he baited. "Do you really want the general population of humanity privy to your existence?"

This gave Lucy pause. She contemplated for a moment, cautiously stepping out from behind Dr. Reed. He placed a protective hand on her shoulder.

"No," she admitted.

"Nor do I," Virgil concurred. "The world is not ready to know about we creatures of the night. And I can tell you from centuries of witnessing the atrocities and prejudices of mankind, that mobs with pitchforks can do a great deal of damage."

Lucy nodded, her mouth set in a grim line.

"That's quite enough history and philosophy for one night, thank you," Dr. Reed interrupted. "Miss Penn must be on her way shortly, and I intend to see her off. I trust you can let yourself out, Virgil."

"Oh, I am not finished," Virgil said.

"Oh, for the moment, yes, you are," Dr. Reed informed the dhampir. "Now is not the time."

"What I have to say affects her as much as it does you, Thomas."

"Virgil!" the physician snapped, exasperated. "Now is not the time!"

Apparently able to feel the daggers that Dr. Reed was glaring at him, Virgil conceded with an impatient sigh. "As you wish."

Turning to Lucy, the beautiful dhampir swept into a deep bow. "Lucy," he said, his tone far more seductive than she deemed necessary. "I shall see you again. Soon."

She made to reply, but Virgil was gone, becoming one with the fog.

Lucy blinked. "I really must learn how to do that."

Dr. Reed huffed. "It's not that impressive."

Glancing up at the doctor, Lucy studied the furrowed brow and deep frown that marred his handsome features. "You really don't like him."

Dr. Reed sighed. "Virgil is ancient, powerful, sentient...and completely insufferable." He pinched the bridge of his nose. "Over the years, he has been both a great help and a great hindrance to my existence as a vampire. No doubt you will soon have a similar ambiguous relationship with him. He is our ally, Miss Penn. That does not necessarily make him our friend."

Lucy smiled, grateful for the doctor's candor. "I understand."

"Good."

They began a leisurely walk, like a couple strolling through the park on a spring afternoon. Lucy realized Dr. Reed was escorting her back to the hospital's entrance. And of course he was — she had interrupted his nightly shift, taking him from his work and the patients who needed him. He had been magnanimous giving her as much time and attention as he had.

Still, she was not ready to say goodbye.

A phrase from her many studies migrated to the forefront of her mind:

"Fortis fortuna adiuvat."

Fortune favors the bold.

If ever there was a time to seek proof of validity in old Latin quotations, this was it.

As they reached the gate that would allow her escape of the hospital and access to the street, Lucy placed a hand on Dr. Reed's elbow in silent request for his ear.

He paused and turned toward her.

"Dr. Reed, I—"

When given his attention, she realized she was at a loss for words. She should have rehearsed a mental speech so as not to embarrass herself and further waste his time.

Clearing her throat, she began again, hoping to sound conversational rather than emotional.

"It was quite the surprise meeting you tonight," she said. "A bit of serendipity I could never have foreseen. It would mean so very much to me to have another of my kind to talk to. My knowledge of my newly adopted race is still so rudimentary, and, in truth, I haven't many friends. If an opportunity arises in which you are not besieged with the sick and injured, may I call upon you again? I– I would like that very much."

She lowered her eyes, gaze focused on the ground. She knew her words lacked both eloquence and maturity.

To her surprise, Dr. Reed took her hand. He gently stroked her knuckles with the pad of his thumb. He smiled down at her, his expression unguarded.

"Speaking with you tonight has been my profound pleasure, Miss Penn," he said. "I hope to continue speaking with you on a regular basis. You may call upon me whenever you wish."

There was a sudden and distinct flutter in her chest that made Lucy feel blissfully human. Dr. Reed wanted to see her again. He had enjoyed speaking with her. The skin on her cheeks tingled in delight.

He opened the gate. "Now, please, go straight home," he instructed. "Take only the well-lit, main streets. Avoid alleys and shortcuts, alright? I needn't tell you what lurks in London's shadows."

Lucy smiled. "Straight home. I promise."

"Safe journey."

"Thank you."

With the intention of departure, she walked through the gate. A moment's hesitation inspired her to turn back, and she stared at Dr. Reed, contemplative.

Fortis fortuna adiuvat.

Decisively, she closed the short distance between them, stood on her toes, and placed a swift kiss on his cheek.

"Goodnight, doctor."

Glancing back once more, she turned and sauntered into the fog. She could feel Dr. Reed's eyes on her as she vanished from his view.

She laughed silently to herself. Her mother would be aghast. Her actions had not been those of a well-bred, proper young lady.

But what of that?

She was a vampire.

~ * ~