XIII: Three Days

The girl seemed truly disgusted and horrified at the prospect of working with the Wizards. Not that Ogron could really blame her, mind you; they had hunted and captured her like a wild animal and left her to suffer once they'd finished with her. 

"What could you possibly need me or my powers for?" Aiyana demanded. "You hardly seem lacking where dark magic is concerned... Or does this have to do with the fourth musketeer missing from your troupe?"

"We're not looking for a replacement," Anagan snapped, angered at the mere thought of exchanging Duman for anyone else, much less a young, inexperienced fairy. 

Aiyana raised an eyebrow at him. "That certainly struck a nerve... Guess I was right, then."

"Duman's lost in Oblivion," Gantlos explained, albeit rather bluntly. "And the only power in the universe that can breach that barrier is yours, apparently, or we wouldn't waste our time with you."

Aiyana glowered at him. 

Anagan's foot tapped impatiently on the wooden floorboards. "Let's just tie her up and get out of here," he finally said to Ogron, evidently done with any negotiating the fairy would try to do. 

Although that would have ordinarily sounded like a reasonable suggestion, these were different circumstances. Ogron hated it just as much as Gantlos and Anagan, but the reality was they needed the fairy's help. It wouldn't be quick or easy, either: they would have to train and teach her how to properly utilize her magic, and then how to perform a rather complex and taxing spell that would prove a challenge for even the most experienced magic-user. It would have been so effortless and simple if the solution could have been to merely drain the fairy of her power once more, and it was all too frustrating to Ogron to have to instead opt for restraint and cooperation, but it seemed they had no choice. 

"If you even think about tying me up," Aiyana hissed at Anagan, "the only thing you'll get from me is a black eye."

"Now, now," Ogron interjected, "let's not jump to such violent measures, you two."

"So now you're the pacifist?" Aiyana said with a scowl. 

"Hardly," Ogron grinned. "Though, we will refrain from immediate harm towards you... for now. You will work with us eventually. We'll give you three days to decide: will you come with us willingly, or will we have to drag you to Oblivion, kicking and screaming?"

"Some choice," Aiyana mocked. "What makes you think three days will make any difference?"

"Well," Ogron said, rising to his feet, "if you'd have us take you now, that could be arranged, though I did expect you would like some time to mull it over? If you're tired of feeling weak and powerless to do the things that really matter, you'll realize you should have joined us the second the offer came about. Otherwise, rest assured: I have no grievance in making lesser creatures such as yourself bend to my will. I rather enjoy it, actually."

Aiyana did not move, but watched each Wizard carefully as they slowly stirred and readied to depart. 

"Three days," Ogron reminded coldly. He and Wizards then disappeared into a dark portal, leaving the young fairy to an impossible decision.