"And he did something very stupid, Sky. He invested our savings in something that turned out to be a scam."

"He what?" This time, I was the one whose voice trembled.

"The man promised him to double his investment. They seemed legit, had their website and an office, but it was all a lie. As soon as they got the money, they vanished. The worst thing is, he used everything we had, even your college fund. And he quit his job because they promised he would get a considerable amount every month, and then the final part in a year."

"My college fund? But you've been saving for ages."

Mom whispered, "I know. And I'm so angry with him for doing it behind my back. We might lose the house, Sky. We only have my salary now. Your grandparents have been helping us this past month—"

"Month? How long has it been going on?"

"Since May. We thought we could solve it, but we can't afford to hire a good lawyer. I'm sorry, baby, I called you because we need you to come home. I bought you a ticket for the day after tomorrow. I've had it for a while but didn't say anything to let you enjoy your friend's wedding."

"Tell me it's a joke. You want me to come home, and then what? My classes start in September. I won't be able to help you much in just a month."

"I mean a different thing. We cannot pay for your stay in Paris anymore. Your grandparents gave us money for you to finish the school year, but we can't do anything else. I'm so sorry."

"Why do you say you might lose the house? It was almost paid for."

I kept asking my mom questions, hoping that what she was saying wasn't true. There should have been a solution.

"We had to take out a loan to do repairs. Dad wanted to change things and thought we would have enough once we got money from that investment."

"And where have you been, Mom? How could you let him do it? He's always told me not to spend too much, and then this happens?"

"Sky, we really can't pay for your studies there. That's why I haven't transferred this month's money to your account yet. I'm afraid there's nothing we can do."

"Does Aunt Sam know? Maybe she can lend you a hand until you save for a lawyer."

"Dad talked to her yesterday, but Sam and Michael bought a house and are getting married. I'm looking for an extra job to pay the bills. Maybe you could, too, once you are here."

"Yeah."

"I emailed you the ticket."

"Did the two of you even think about me? I also have a life here. I have my friends and my studies. How am I supposed to leave everything behind like this? It's not fair!"

Mom sniffled again. "I'm sorry. I wish we didn't have to do it."

As soon as we hung up, I started sobbing. I refused to believe what my mother told me. I couldn't fathom how my father had been so careless and thoughtless.

And my heart broke when the reality sank in, and I understood what it meant for Liam and me. He was starting his online degree in September, the one that cost him everything he'd saved. Tim would be a part of the soccer team, and I... I had to leave them behind to help my reckless parents.

I had to leave behind my boyfriend and my future with him, breaking his heart.

Liam found me in bed where I'd cried all the tears I thought I was capable of crying.

"What happened?" he asked, lying down next to me. "Are you feeling bad, sweetheart? Why didn't you call me?"

"Something happened at home," I managed to say through the tears.