(27) Truth

The song above is Only Love Can Hurt Like This by Paloma Faith

You can read ahead on Patreon now. Use this link to find out more: patreon.com/littletroublemaker_

Word count: 2352

He changed right before my eyes

He changed right before my eyes. He turned into something else. Something inhuman.

How was that possible?

Dexter, a good friend of mine—one who I thought was an open book—was actually a bloody werewolf. At least, that was what I thought he was.

Who would have thought it?

They hadn't noticed me hiding behind the tree, watching them. I was glad. I couldn't give them an explanation yet. Not when I wanted one too. If Dexter and Marianne were werewolves, did that mean Lazarus was one too? Raegan as well? They had to be—they all seemed to know each other.

Sure, I wasn't super close with them—not what I was with Lazarus—but that didn't mean we didn't trust each other. We did trust each other. Lazarus asked me if I did and I told him yes.

Maybe he was afraid? Maybe he couldn't tell me. He might be bound in some way. There had to be a rational explanation to what I witnessed. When we saw the unexplainable, we tried to rationalize it. My mind was running through possible solutions—I was hallucinating, I was dreaming or even, it was a trick of the light.

But I knew I wasn't experiencing any of this. There was no reason as to why I would hallucinate. I pinched myself to check if I was asleep. And they were out in the open—the light couldn't have affected what I saw.

Thus, what I saw was real.

And that meant everything I knew about the world was false. Incomplete.

I was desperate to find out answers. I was curious about how something that was supposedly mythological was actually real.

Dexter had no obligation to tell me—it was a humongous secret. And even though it hurt to know they didn't trust me with this secret, I had to accept it. I had no right to be hurt—it was something personal to them.