11

ZAYYAD
It's been over a month now ever since Ummul Khulthum started seeing Suraya. At first I thought it would be one of those relationships she had with people. But she hasn't shown any disinterested in her.
Even I won't lie to myself. I've grown fond of the lady. It's like we made a schedule. I pick her up on some days and Suraya picks her from school anytime I can't.
She's started sleeping at Suraya's too. On the days she's not here, it's either I face it and stay at home or I just go to my moms or Zainab's.
My parents though aren't aware of her, they think Ummul Khulthum has gone off to her friends house and Suraya is always the one to pick her up.
Nasir knows though. He's been in touch with me, Zainab isn't oblivious but she doesn't know everything. That same week he came to my house, he made sure Zainab took a pregnancy test.
Every since the results came out positive, Nasir has been restless. He's been up and down, he once sent his children over here saying that he doesn't have time to deal with anyone right now.
Anytime I'm at Zainab's, I do the extra work. Which includes making sure the children are okay and done with everything they are expected to do.
I've learnt a lot from Suraya about dealing with children like Ummul Khulthum. While my way of making her talk is giving her stuff that she likes, Suraya's way is very easy.
She would just promised to tell her something and in return Ummul Khulthum has to tell what's happened.
Although that trick hasn't worked on her when it comes to bullying people in school. She never tells us what's going on.
Right now, I'm at home getting ready to go for a family outing with the AbdulMalik's. It was Imran and Ummul Khulthum's idea. They brought it up on Friday during closing time.
I chose a beige colored shirt that Ameena bought for me for our two year anniversary. Paired with black sweatpants.
'Daddy?! You done?' Ummul Khulthum says coming into the room wearing her hello kitty shirt and black skirt. 'Can you please put my hair clips on?'
'Yeah, sit right here. Let me return this to the toilet' I told her 'what colors did you choose this time?'
'I have pink, black and white' she said picking them up Color by color 'here'
'Thanks, you've forgotten about me' I start clipping them on 'You always go to Suraya's you never stay with me anymore. It's either you are with Suraya or your with Zainab or at grandmas. You mostly just sleep here now'
'Are you jealous?' She giggled 'I haven't forgotten you. I just like spending time with everyone else, so I won't be clingy to you'
'Well I like clingy but if that's the case, it's alright. As long as you know I love you and I would always be here for you' I say kissing her head.
She hugged me and we went down stairs to pick the picnic baskets and we were all set to go to the park.
    As I drove I thought of what has happened the past month. The AbdulMalik's have been a blessing to us.
    Ever since Suraya dragged Imran to my house to apologise for his actions. Till date I still have zero clue on what happened and why she still punches and pushes people in anger.
    Even Suraya has tried to snap her out of it, she said she has a clue of what's causing it but she doesn't actually know what happens nor does she want to jump into conclusions.
    Mr and Mrs AbdulMalik have been wonderful too. The first time I met them was when I came to pick up Ummul Khulthum from Suhail's house. I just wanted to stay in the car and wait for her but unfortunately fortunate for me, they ushered me in and sat me down to have a five minute cookie snack with them.
      It wasn't a five minute cookie snack at all. It was more like a two hour chai tea, talking about my job, how I take care of myself and Ummu, what I do for a hobby, what they've been doing. And stuff like that. I really enjoyed their company.
     I wish they could be here too although I doubt it but there's still a possibility. I know there's going to be Imran (obviously) Ahmad, Suhail, Muhibah and Suraya. And then there's me and Ummul Khulthum, I don't know of anybody else.
     'So I drop you here? And I go find a place to park?' I tell her nodding at the sidewalks where Suraya and Ahmad are arguing about something I know nothing about.
    She nodded her head and unbuckled her seat belt. 'Assalam, could you guys pause you argument please? I'm dropping her here so I could find a place to park. You guys okay with that?' I said
     'Oh! Hey! Salam to you too. And sure, I was actually tired of arguing with Ahmad here. Oh wow thanks! You guys didn't have to bring sandwiches' Suraya said taking the basket out of the car.
     'It's our pleasure' I said with a small smile before going to park the car, I found a spot close to Suhail's SUV and decided to stay near them.
     I put on my sun shades and walked out of the car, my phone rang as I locked the car. It was my brother in law. Ameena's elder brother, Suleiman.
    He isn't much older than me, he is like thirty five? Six? One of them. 'Assalamu Alykum, Suleiman'
    'Ameen wa'alaykummus Salam, Zayyad. How was your day? It's been a while since we've talked' he said
     'Alhamdulilah my days have been good. How's your wife and kids?' I ask heading towards the AbdulMalik's.
    'Oh Nabila and the kids are fine Alhamdulilah. Where's Ummul Khulthum? How's she doing?' He said
    'She's good Alhamdulilah. All is well right Suleiman? Cause I know we don't talk much. I mostly talk to Irfan but he's phone has been going straight to voicemail. What's up with him' I asked frowning already not liking the reason why Irfan doesn't pick up his phone.
    'Oh Irfan's out of town and I don't have a clue why his phone isn't going through. And yes there is a problem actually. I'm sorry to call you on a day like this. Where are you right now?' He asked
   'I'm at the park together with Ummul Khulthum. We are meeting up with some family friends to have a small picnic, why you asking?' I say looking at Ummul Khulthum who was caught up in a conversation with Suraya and Imran.
    'I was just asking but I'll tell you when you get home. It's not a problem really but we don't know how to deal with this and Amma won't share her opinions with us for reasons she knows' he said clearly annoyed by this.
     'Okay sure thing. If you say so. When you get Irfan please give his number and greet aunt for me' I said walking straight
     'Hmm hmm, she would hear and send my regards to Ummul Khulthum' he paused 'Ma'aslam'
    'I will. Bi'salam' I said hanging up. I continued walking towards them but my attention was divided.
    One, I wanted to sit down so badly, two, I wanted to talk to Irfan. He was Ameena's immediate younger brother. He just finished university and he joined his family business nothing less than a month ago.
   He was like the younger brother I never had. We had our differences especially during the times when I wasn't good to Ameena. But once I was good, we hang out a few times and that was all it took to have everything.
   'Heheheha! He doesn't look young! He just looks cool! Hehe' Ummul Khulthum giggles 'I  cant believe you called my dad young!'
    I looked up to see everyone's eyes on me, I raised an eyebrow confused 'shhh, you aren't meant to say everything out loud. It was a secret!' Imran said in between their giggles
    'Can someone explain what you guys are talking about?' I ask moving closer.
    'Apparently Ahmad saw you and said you looked like someone that was described in his novel and we looked at you to see. When I saw you I told them you look younger like your in your late teen and early twenties. Then we all, urm you know agreed. Cause shades, sweatpants, one hand in your pocket and you are talking on your phone. You gave that cool guy vibe' Suhail explains
   I didn't even know my hand was in my pocket. It was probably in auto drive, meh, I shrugged and took a seat next to them. 'And I called you old cause you aren't young!' Ummul Khulthum said still giggling at the idea of her dad being young again.
    'Oh hush, I'm not that old! But if you say so. No more piggy pack rides and carrying you. Cause according to you, I'm too old' I told Ummul Khulthum taping her nose.
    'How old are you anyway?' Ahmad asks frowning his eyes looking at me but his heads the same level with his book, dairy of a wimpy kid this time around.
    'You shouldn't ask people such questions you know, it's disrespectful' Suraya says, Muhibah's and Suhail nod in confirmation.
     'Oh don't worry, I'm not young nor I'm a old. I've spent thirty two years on earth' I say with a small smile
    'Like I said! He's old!' She giggled 'but I still want my piggy pack rides!' She added
     'You aren't old but you aren't that young either. At first we all thought you and Suraya were age mates, but it turns out wrong' Suhail shrugs
    'You look, quite young for your age. When I met you I thought either mid twenties or late twenties. But your five years ahead' Suraya said nodding her head.
    I nodded my head not knowing what else to say. She wasn't the only one who thought people looked young for their age. When I first met her, I thought she was in her early twenties, with a strict but open mindset. No one will believe she's twenty eight years old. She looks far too younger that. Masha Allah is all i can say.
     'Could you pass me a sprite or any cold water please' Ahmad tells Imran, he rolls his eyes and passes a sprite to him.
      'Nobody should tell me to pass anything again' he said as Ahmad muttered a thank you.
    'Imran pass me the basket, our own' Suraya says earning a glare from Imran
     'Imran please pass the cooler that contains water' Suhail says
     'Imran please check for a sandwich wrapped in tin foil, that's my own' Ummul Khulthum says
     'Imran would you like some help?' I ask laughing at their requests.
    'Thank you!' He said enthusiastically, throwing his hands in the air frowning.
   I helped him pass everything out and we also settled on what we want to eat also. I chose one of their sandwiches and settled on water.
   I watched as they all started a conversation about God knows what and went into think mode.
   I had nothing to think of yet I just sat down and looked into nothing in particular. Thinking of what I have to go do after this and what Suleiman said.
   Insha Allah it would be nothing big of a problem, I have no strength to deal with Ameena's family.
   Ever since she died only the mother and Irfan actually contacted us weekly. It has reduced obviously but they still do.
   On some days Ummul Khulthum goes to sleep at her home. My father in law died three years after Ameena's death.
   He was never the type to call and ask of your health and stuff but he was nice. She had three brothers, Abbas the first which I have no clue about his whereabouts, Suleiman the second who lives here in San Francisco but rarely contacts us.
   Then Irfan the last born of the house. He wasn't spoilt but he got what he wanted but he was disciplined. He is twenty two now? Yeah, I think he turned twenty two early this year.
    When Ameena was still alive, he would come every single Saturday and Sunday, of course we had to act okay together but not Mushy mushy. Even though he always saw through the fake smiles and laughs, he never liked me but when He started seeing that we weren't acting anymore he gave up the grudge.
    'So....' Suhail starts catching our attention, he looked at Muhiba, they smiled and she nodded her head
    'We wanted to tell you guys later on but since we are all here, let's just share the good news' he paused smiling everyone waiting for the 'good news' 'Ahmad, Imran? Your going to be big brothers again'
   'What?!'
    'Oh! Masha Allah?!'
    'I don't understand?!'
    'Oh yay!!!'
    'How long are you?'
     Everyone said at the same time and Muhibah and Suhail bursted our laughing at us. 'Imran it means you're going to get a baby sister or brother. You're going to be their big brother Insha Allah'
    'Oh! But I don't want to be a big brother! I want to be the only one with Ahmad! Why do you guys want another child?' He pouts
   'I am speechless but yay!' Ahmad says hugging his mother.
   'Oh my!' Suraya says 'this is amazing! How far are you? I hope it's a girl this time'
    'We are four and three weeks long. We found out that I was pregnant two months ago but we didn't just want to tell you guys yet' Muhibah shrugged
   'No wonder you've grown bigger these past few months but don't worry it's the good type of fat' Suraya says and we all laugh.
   'Daddy?' Ummul Khulthum calls and I humm an answer
   'When did she start calling you daddy? Instead of Abba?' Ahmad asks frowning confused
   'It's because you guys call your dad daddy so it's rubbing off on her' Muhibah explains, he nods and goes back to his book.
   'Can I get a little sister or brother?' She asks and I don't know how to answer.
    It's like time froze at that moment, everyone stopped doing what they were doing and looked at her. All eyes were on her and we all didn't have an answer.
   'Don't worry, you said your dads too old isn't he?' Ahmad starts and she nods 'well, he is too old to have another you. But don't worry, you can share mine, I'm sure I won't really have time to be with the baby, Insha Allah'
   'Err yes you would, you know Imran's too small to help me take care of the baby and your mother' Suhail says
   'But-
    'No buts, your going to be taking care of Imran when Suhail's with me' Muhibah says cutting him off.
    'I'm a good and big kid! I can take care of myself, isn't that true Ummul Khulthum?' Imran says frowning
    'Noooooo you are still a small boy' she giggles 'you always cry in class whenever we pick your color pencils'
   I sigh knowing that I don't have to answer her question, I set a mental note to thank Ahmad later for giving her an answer.
    'So... I have to go pack cause I'm escorting my parents to California tomorrow morning by six. And I need to call Nasir to know if he is in good shape to handle one more rascal' I say standing up.
   'Oh, why so early in the morning?' Suhail asks taking a sip of his tea.
    'My parents like being on time for event's. My grandma requested for them but they can't go alone. For some reason they want me to go and I can't bring Ummul Khulthum me' he raises an eyebrow 'tomorrow is Monday a school day'
   He nods his head and I bring out my phone to call Nasir. 'Assalam brother, please say You're outside my house. Zainab asked for some cheese and we have none'
    I laugh at him before answering 'wa Alykum mussalam, I'm not there, I'm at the park. I just called to see if you can take care of Ummul Khulthum for tomorrow? I bring her this night and I pick her before Isha' I explain
     'I can't say yes nor do I want to say no. I'm sorry Zayyad but you know my position. I'm stuck with three girls in the house that's minus  my wife' he sighed
    'I understand what you mean and don't worry I'll ask if Marc's free for the night' I say
   'What about that Suraya lady? Can't you call her up?' He asks.
    'We are actually with them but I don't want to bother them too much. She's been taking care of Ummul Khulthum for almost two months now' I try to defend myself
    'And you are sure you won't just make her your wife?' He asks as if that's the most obvious thing to do 'well don't mind me, that was just an opinion. Insha Allah you'll get a place to keep her for the day'
    'Insha Allah I will. Greet everyone for me' I say not waiting for a reply I cut the call. I sigh and go back to the seat
    'So?' Suraya asks 'from the look on your face Mr Nasir isn't free. What about your little sister? Anisa? Right?'
    I nod my head 'yes Anisa. She isn't around either. I think she's gone for a school trip? Or something like that. I'm not sure' I shrug
    'Okay. But you know we can take care of her for the night, right?' Muhibah asks
    'I know' i sigh ' it's just that I don't like relying on you guys too much. Your family has been nothing but good to us and I don't want to take advantage of that'
   'Don't worry, we have Ahmad and Imran who are headaches, I'm sure Ummul Khulthum will be nothing but a chocolate soufflé' Suhail says and I laugh at him
    'Ummul Khulthum is nothing like a chocolate soufflé. Even though it depends on her mood. She doesn't like silence and quietness. She always has to ruin the peaceful hour' I say
    'I won't argue in that' Suraya says smiling before turning to Suhail and Muhibah 'you remember I was telling you about my painting' they nod 'well I couldn't finish it. Ummul khulthum was at my apartment when I was painting and because I was trying to concentrate it was all quiet and noiseless but she entered with shouting different questions and my hand slipped and I smudged the painting but I fixed it later on'
    'Oh wow I never knew you painted. What do you normally paint?' I ask her interested
    'I do, but it's just a hobby. Whatever comes into my mind is what I paint or if I find a picture really beautiful I try and imitate it' she shrugs
    There's a moment of silence before Ummul Khulthum asks if they could go in the swings which we all agree too unless Ahmad follows.
   'So don't worry brother, will take care of her. It's only a day right? It's not much of a deal' Suhail says waving off a hand.
   'Thanks for your help, she'll have to follow you today cause I'm leaving by six am. Cause school and all' I explain
   'We understand. It's okay, you can go and get her things we will be here if if we are leaving we'll call you' Suraya says
    'Oh no need. Her bags in the car. Cause the initial plan was to drop her off after the park trip but now, let me keep it in your car' I say standing up from my chair
   'Sure thing, we're here when your done. And here's the key to my car' Suhail says bringing the key out of his pocket.
    I grabbed it and headed off to my car. I put her bag in Suhail's car and went back so I could bid them farewell.
    'Thanks, I'll just go tell Ummul Khulthum bye' I say tossing the keys to him.
     He nodded his head and I walked in the direction of the playground. I spotted them by the swings.
    'Cupcake?!' I say approaching them. She lifts her head and waves her hand. 'I'm going home now so I can get ready for my trip to California, okay? You'll be staying with Suraya and Suhail. I don't want to hear you being naughty. If you are, I'll stop you from going to their home'
   She nods and asks 'when are you coming back? Can you bring some chocolate when you are returning home? Why are you going there again?'
    'I'll be back tomorrow evening. I'm going because grandma and grandpa want me to go with them. Chocolates fine by me' I shrug
    'So bye bye?! I'll let you know when I go to sleep and I won't do anything you wouldn't like' she says raising her pinky finger.
    I also raise mine and we make the promise. I kiss her forehead and tell Imran and Ahmad Goodbye.
    I also bid Suhail, Muhibah and Suraya bye and they wish me a safe journey Insha Allah.

So?......
Comments
Votes
Shares
And follow too