3

SURAYA

'Chadwick Bozeman is dead.....is all I hear. I mean what the hell???
I can't concentrate anymore, one of my favourite actors is dead?!
'If someone dies where do they go?' Imran asks looking at me.
'When people die they get buried and when they get buried God sends angels to him or her and the angels ask them questions. If you were good on earth, they would be nice to you but if you weren't they would be harsh. And not nice' I explain.
'And that's why you are supposed to be kind hearted, be a hero and not a villain. Okay?' Sky tells him.
Imran tilts his head in confusion before asking 'so that fire fighter that saved me from the fire the other day is a hero? Right? Cause he did a good thing by saving me?' He asks Jordan.
'Yes he is a hero, and hero's go to heaven' she explains.
He nods and goes somewhere in the house. Possibly his mothers room but I don't dwell on that fact.
I think of what I need to go do now, I look at my best friend and see she's on the phone with someone.
When she's done we'll go to the shop to buy more decorations, posters and more film cause mines finished and I need more.
My mother and I moved back to San Francisco from Jordan six months ago.
It's one hell of a journey, firstly my parents split up a few years back just before I graduated from college.
It's just me and my brother, he already owned a house and had his family and I couldn't stay with him.
My dad was just not available anymore and I still loved them both but I moved to my moms home town together with her to keep her company.
And now we're back at square one. They got back together six months ago and had a new house to represent new beginning and the whatnot.
And now I had the whole home to myself which I doubt I will stay in cause I don't like quite places.
Sky said if her mother agrees she will move in with me, she's her mother daughter, basically cause she's the only child and her dad is dead.
I hope she agrees and at the same time I'll feel bad cause she will be all alone.
'You ready? I just talked to mom, I told her we would be going to the store for shopping' she said checking her bag for something I don't know.
'Sure, let me tell my brother and his wife I'm off first' I told her and ran up stairs to the library
'Moms in her room, dad's at the backyard' Ahmad their ten year old son said not looking up from his book.
I nod and head down the hallway. I knocked on the door and Imran opened the door.
'Where's your mom?' I asked him looking into the room.
'Bathroom, oh look she's out, mommy!' He said turning towards her.
'Yes darling? Oh hey Suraya what's up your sleeve?' She asked
'Nothing actually, just wanted to inform you I'll be going that's all' I smiled at her.
'Okay then, send my regards to your mom and dad for me. Imran tell your aunt goodbye' she said ruffling his hair.
'Bye bye, next time please bring vanilla ice cream chocolates disgusting, mom please, your ruining my mane!' He said squirming out of her embrace
'Haha. Okay I will, bye Muhimba' I said and headed to the backyard.
'Sorry, one more minute' I shouted to sky and ran back out.
'Hey sory, you going already?' He said and I cringed at the old nickname he called me when we were younger.
'Yep and you won't stop calling me that would you?' I asked him folding my arms across my chest.
'Nope' he said popping the p in nope, giving me the goofy smile.
'Sure thing chanhill, Bye!' I said smirking at him and escorting myself to the door.
I heard him chuckle though before I left. 'Let's go sky' I told her picking my purse up and fixing my hijab.
She sighed and got up from the chair, we walked down the street where the shops where located.
'I like the colours in this shop, Suraya let's go in here......
And that was how we started our shopping spree.
We bought a lot of things, some unnecessary, some necessary, some just off the track, some were pointless.
Some for sky's dog and cat some for just having sake.
I think we spent more than two hundred dollars buying these things. Not to talk about the new furniture and paint.
Just before we entered another shop, my stomach growled and I looked at the time. It was past four and I have not eaten anything yet
And thank God I wasn't praying, cause if I was, I would be crying right now for forgiveness.
'Can we go eat first? And isn't what we have enough? I'm tired of shopping and I'm seriously hungry' I told her
'Yeah me too, let's go this way, I think I saw a KFC sign board' she days leading the way.
We both ordered a bucket of chicken and some fries with sprite for me and coke for her.
'So are you going to your parents today? Or are you sleeping at Suhail's home?' She asked taking a fry.
I shrugged 'I don't know yet. I told suhail that I would stay for a week and the weeks over, I want to go home but I'm afraid my moms going to bring up the topic of marriage'
'That sucks, but if I were your mom I would actually be acting this way' she said and I glared at her 'hey?! Don't look at me like that, your young and beautiful, your twenty eight, you aren't getting any younger you know' she defended
'I know, but anytime someone asks for my hand in marriage, I turn them down cause the guys are not who I would imagine having a family with. You know?' I say before going back to my chicken.
'Yeah I getcha' she sighed and also went back to her food.

*****