Forty-Two

Jared watched the other group carefully as they made their way inside. They were all carrying a bag or holding a box of something. Looked like they'd had a lot luck. What surprised him the most was Paige, leading in the tall dark horse. Casey went up to it right away and it stood patiently while she pet it and scratched behind its ears  After a few minutes of watching, he went over to join her. He changed his mind, though, when it flattened its ears at him. Casey and Paige shared a laugh while Jared walked away to find something to do. Joe, Renee, and Ella had moved the barricades back in front of the doors after the others had helped bring the hay bales in, most likely for the horse.
   "So they're staying here?" Cora asked from beside him. He jumped in surprise.
   "Where'd you come from?" He asked, nudging her with his elbow.
   She shrugged. "So are they?"
   "No idea. They're bringing their stuff in, but they just met us. And I don't think that one guy, Wes, likes us too much."
   She smiled. "Yeah, I saw her pushing him around."
   He smiled too. "That was something to watch. He wouldn't even yell at her, he just glared."
   "And his friend was laughing at him." She laughed quietly. "I hope they stay though. The more people we have, the better. Oh yeah, aren't we putting up signs on our next run or something?"
   He shrugged. "I think they were talking about sending two groups at once, one for supplies and one to put the signs up."
   "That might take a little more than a few people."
   "Yeah." They'd started walking while they were talking and were now at the dining hall. Tom, Lynn, and Renee were there with the new group, explaining the rules and everything to them. "That horse is still with
her." He observed.
   "Yeah, he looks like a good horse." Cora said.
   "Well I think it hates me. I won't even be able to meet them if it's gonna be with them the whole time." He muttered.
   "Poor baby." Suddenly Casey was standing at his other side.
   "Are girls always sneaking around? Is this supposed to be a normal thing for you?" He asked, looking between the two.
   "I think it's fun." Casey said. "And you're easy to scare."
   "No I'm not."
   "Yes you are." Cora said. She seemed like she was in a good mood. Jared knew she'd been close to Cassidy, and her death was only a couple weeks ago. Mica spent most of his time moping around, while Jay was usually doing something with Avery and Ben. The three were like a little family now. Jack seemed to be cheering up, too. He was more open than when Jared first met him, and he seemed to like working with the others.
   "I'm not!" He yelled, just as a dog came out of nowhere to attack his face with kisses. He almost grabbed for his gun before he realized what it was. "Shut up." He growled to the girls who were now laughing at him.
   "That's Buddy." He jumped in surprise when he heard Paige behind him, causing the girls to laugh even more. "I'm Paige." She added. He might have been okay with that if her horse hadn't followed her over. "And this is Cobalt."
   "Yeah, I saw him earlier. He's...nice..."
   She smiled and patted Cobalt's neck. "It just takes him a while to get used to some people. Not really a fan of boys. He's still adjusting to Gavin's group."
   "Gavin's group?"
   "Yeah, we didn't start out together. Me, Adam, and Allison were with a couple other guys...we lost them a while back..." She hesitated and looked down for a few seconds before continuing. "We found Gavin,
Wes, Max, and Martine just a few weeks ago. After that, we decided to travel together. We were going to Columbus, but I think you know howthat ended."
   "Yeah." He replied, petting Buddy. "Same thing with us. Except we didn't find her and her group-" he indicated to Cora. "Until we got here."
   "Yeah, I was thinking that there was probably more than one group here. I guess we’re all one group now though." She said, looking around at everyone.
   "We're getting bigger." Casey agreed.
   "Strength in numbers." Cora added. "We've got numbers." She high-fived Cora. Jared almost jumped out of his skin as he heard Gavin come up behind him.
   "What are talking about?" He asked.
   "Numbers." Paige answered simply.
   "Awesome." He said. "Great topic."
   "Do I detect sarcasm in that statement, Gavin?" Paige asked in what Jared guessed was supposed to be a British accent.
   "No, absolutely no sarcasm here." He answered her in a sarcastic tone. "You know I'm serious about everything. Even to the girl that
tried to kill me."
   "That was your fault."
   "How?"
   "You were standing in front of my gun."
   "Wait you shot him?" Jared butted in.
   "Yes." Gavin was the first to answer.
   "Accidentally. I was scared and I panicked." She said it more to Gavin than to Jared.
   "Oh, I've gotta go." Casey said. "I'm supposed to switch out with Laina, and it looks like she's done with her shift. I'll see ya later."
   "Later."
   "Bye."
   "See ya."
   "Have fun."