Ten

Pocatello, ID

          "Why didn't you tell us while you were talking to him?" Tom growled while pacing the floor in front of Jared. "Why'd you tell him we would go without saying a word to us before?"

           "I didn't think it would matter." Jared replied, trying to stay calm. "It seemed like it would it would be safe enough. Joe said they had about 20 people there, and it has to be safe if they can keep that many people alive and away from..." he looked at one of the blocked windows.
          "How do you know you can trust him, though? For all we know, those things out there could have found themselves a radio." Tom replied almost yelling.
          "He sounded normal, and I wouldn't think those things could talk at all. Especially from what Joe told me."
          Ella interrupted before Tom had a chance to say anything. "He's right. I haven't heard any of them make any noise apart from the growling and moaning. They don't seem like they'd be smart enough to figure out a radio. Maybe we should go." Tom opened his mouth, then closed it again and folded his arms, staring off into the distance. He looked like he was actually considering it. Jared was glad that they had Ella with them. She seemed like the only one he listened to seriously.
          "What about the sniper?" Casey asked suddenly from beside Jared. "He might still be out there, and I doubt all of us will make it without getting hit."
          "I've been thinking about what to do with him." Tom answered. "If we can get that gun, he'll be practically helpless. But if there's other people with him, we might have more trouble."
          "What if we snuck up on him?" Jared suggested. "We could make our way to his building and try to stay out of sight, then just sneak in and up to the roof."
          "If we could 'stay out of sight' so easily, we wouldn't have to worry about him in the first place. He's watching the whole street and shooting anything that moves. Almost got me and Ella coming in and out." Tom glanced over at his sister.
          "What if someone distracted him?" Casey asked. "We could have one person run around while the others made their way to the building."
          Tom stood for a minute, and Jared could tell he was thinking hard. Finally he asked, "Who's gonna run? Me and Ella are the only ones with guns, and he's half-crippled." Jared glared at Tom, even though he knew he was right. It still hurt him to walk on his leg, let alone run on it.
          Casey smiled proudly. "I was one of the best runners on my school's track team, and I placed first in most of my events. I even ran Cross Country last year."
          Jared was about to protest, but Tom interrupted, "You'd be okay with running then? You'll have to be careful; don't run in a straight line because it'll give him a better shot at you. Run in circles, zig-zag, do whatever you want. Just don't get hit." Casey nodded. "Okay then. Pack up your stuff and let's go." There really wasn't that much to pack, though. Tom gave Jared a backpack full of some food and water, and he and Ella had their own. They didn't have Casey carry anything so she could run easier. Once they were done, they all grouped together at the door.
          "Are you feeling better?" Tom asked Jared. "We'll still be running, and with your leg..."
          "I'll be fine." He answered, before turning to Casey. "Be careful." he said quietly.
          She just smiled and replied, "You too." Then she opened the door. The silence in the air was broken by a single gunshot that shattered the glass of the door. Casey flinched and started breathing harder, and Jared could tell just how scared she was. That didn't stop her, though. Almost as soon as the shot went off, she took off at a full sprint out the door and across the street. More gunshots were heard. Once she was far enough away, Tom crept out the door, followed by Ella and Jared. They moved at a slow jog, sticking close to the walls of buildings to avoid the sniper's attention. Looking back, Jared couldn't help but smile at Casey. She was running in circles, jumping on cars, rolling under them, and doing all kinds of crazy things. He attention was dragged away by a sudden stinging in his leg. He fought off the pain, though, and stuck close to the siblings.
          The sniper's place was a just a few buildings down from theirs, and it was on a corner so the shooter had a clear view of the whole street. Jared just hoped that he wouldn't notice the three people creeping closer over Casey, who seemed like she would never run out of energy, although she was taking little moments to catch her breath behind tipped cars.
          When they finally got to the sniper's place, the three pressed themselves to the outside wall just below where the person was shooting and made their way to the door. Of course it was barricaded, but with the three of them, they managed to force the doors open.
          It was an apartment building, with a staircase right in front of the door that led up to the apartments. It looked like every bit of furniture had been thrown down the stairs to block the door. Luckily, though, there was still space between the couches, chairs, and comforters for the three to squeeze through. They spent the next few minutes wandering around until Jared found the staircase leading up to the roof. Ella went first this time, holding a revolver in front of her. They crept up the stairs and Ella slowly opened the door to the roof. Jared peered around the two and saw the sniper, laying on the edge of the roof and still trying to catch Casey, but Jared could tell that he was getting frustrated. All he could see of the person was the pair of jeans and black tennis shoes, and the sleeves of the gray hoodie. Tom motioned for him to stay back, then followed Ella onto the roof. Jared watched as they stood on either side of the sniper, who had stopped shooting and visibly frozen up. Taking that as a sign that it was safe to come out, he half-walked and half-limped over to them. Ella had started waving her hands above her head, letting Casey know that they were done. Casey must have replied, because Ella dropped her arms and motioned for Casey to join them.
          When Jared walked up, he saw the the shooter was actually a woman. She had both of her hands on her head and a mixed look of confusion and annoyance on her face.