Chap 44: The End Of Everything

Kamilla:

Intense anxiety continues to plague my mind, hurling through my thoughts at a mile a minute. So, rather than be a victim of my circumstances, I force myself to practice my grounding techniques, verbally naming five things I can touch, see and feel. I'm only halfway through the list when suddenly Loki appears from thin air, hovering silently beside my bedside as I peek out warily beneath the blankets. His expression is soft and thoughtful as his eyes slowly assess me. Then, he calmly lifts the thick wool blanket, before slipping into bed next to me.

"I think I've got a handle on things." He murmurs softly, his voice sure and steady. "But what about you? You don't seem to be holding up very well."

Rather than respond, I curl up against his lukewarm body, as he wraps his strong arms around me and pulls me close.

"Everything is going to be okay." He coos softly, "I'm not going to hurt you. No one is."

"I just feel lost." The words tumble out of their own accord, "What am I even doing anymore?"

Loki's warm eyes are thoughtful as he replies steadily, "Surviving."

"You are doing what you must to get through the day. Surviving no matter the stakes. And isn't that all that matters right now?"

I nod, as I finally give voice to my overwhelming fear, "I just don't want to be alone."

"You won't be."

"And I don't want to lie anymore."

Loki sighs softly, beforing lacing his fingers through mine, the gesture both familiar and thrilling, "Then we won't. We'll leave this planet and go somewhere we can be ourselves."

I nod, my chin bumping against the fresh stubble on his chin, "I'd like that."

Without hesitation, Loki sits up, pulling the blanket off me. "Then consider it done. We'll get packed and set sail today!"

I hug my knees to my chest tightly, not yet ready to leave the safety of my warm bed, "Sif's leaving today too..."

His brisqness fades away and he nods somberly, "I know, I heard."

I let out a small snort, "Should've known you were eavesdropping."

He smirks, flashing his brilliant green eyes playfully, "Did you really expect me not to, darling?"

"No, not really."

He nods matter-of-factly, all playfulness gone from his expression, "Good. Now, onto our first matter of business, we need to get you out of this bed and into the outdoors. Some fresh air will do you a world of good, Little Witch."

Heat tingles my skin as Loki gives me his most charming grin and swoops me in his arms, making me laugh in surprise. Then, with a gently squeeze he carefully places me on my feet. Gladness pools in my chest as I straighten my clothes and pull my curls into a ponytail. I slip on my comfiest shoes rather than the boots Loki gave me on Alheim, since we're coming right back. Once I'm ready and I take his outstretched hand, and he instantly teleports us to the edge of the forest outside. The low red sun casts several layers of hazy shadow over the dark, thickly wooded forest in front of us. Crooked black trees, with jagged disjointed limbs fill the forest, so densely, I almost don't notice the creepy crisscrossing black vines that flick and slither among the trees. Almost.

"Yeah, I don't think we should go in there." I murmur quickly, afraid to draw attention to us and wake whatever sleeping creatures dwell in the woods. "Something in there tried to eat us, the day we first flew by in our spaceship."

Loki's eyes follow mine, but when he takes in my nervous posture, he tosses his head back and laughs merrily. "Ah, but that was before I controlled the All-Black, my darling." He croons, raising his arm slowly, "Now I can control every creature on this god-forsaken planet."