✧ 23 || To Stop Time ✧

Hitoka Yachi's POV

"I think... I think I overdid it," I mumbled under my breath after a while of thinking.

"Hm?" Yamaguchi turned to look at me, the furrowing of his eyebrows marking the confusion on his face.

"Oh, sorry." I let out a nervous chuckle and brought my hand to the back of my head. "I should probably give context. I've been thinking about it so much that it feels like it happened just an hour ago."

"The fight at the study meet-up?" Yamaguchi guessed.

I widened my eyes. "Is—is it too obvious?"

He shrugged and looked away, kicking a rock aside as we made our way down the sidewalk. "It was just a guess... but knowing you, yeah, it kinda is."

I shrugged it off with a laugh, not knowing how to respond.

We continued walking, an awkward silence looming over us. Yamaguchi seemed very upset, and it bothered me because I didn't know if I was the cause of it.

"Do you want me to apologize?"

He looked up, clearly startled. "Huh? What—no, it's fine. He was equally as rude to me, so I guess it was karma..."

I fiddled with my fingers. "I'm going to apologize."

"Wait, why? It's fine, I don't even think he cares..." There was a slight frown on his face when he looked down, avoiding my eyes. "He never cares. That's why he left."

And when those words left his mouth, it felt as through the breeze that blew by suddenly became more forceful. Yet the weight of his words were stronger, hanging with a tenacious grip, unwavering and unwilling to move.

A flash of determination struck me. "Still." My voice was just as unwavering as his words. "I'm apologizing to him today at practice."

He shrugged again—a recent habit which was his way of responding—and sighed. His shrugs always told me that something was wrong. He'd only do it when he was low on energy.

"But," I started, hoping to get his attention, "I'm still going to let him know that what he did to you was absolutely wrong. I'm not apologizing for being wrong, I'm apologizing for the way I said it."

My mother had taught me everything I needed to know about apologizing, because she didn't want me to apologize for no reason. That—of course—didn't stop me from apologizing every second sentence, but it did teach me how to properly phrase them.

The firmness in my voice ended up startling me, though. "Oh... sorry! I didn't mean to sound like that..." My hand found its way behind my head once again as chuckled.

Yamaguchi smiled and shook his head. "And here I thought you were actually getting some character development."

I gave him a playful frown. "Rude!"

He laughed a bit, which put my heart at ease. Well, he's finally gaining some energy. That's good...

✧✦✧

The sound of volleyballs hitting the ground and squeaking shoes filled the gym. I smiled, allowing the atmosphere to fill me with comfort.

My eyes caught Tsukishima walking over to the side of the gym, sweat trickling down his forehead.

Now is your chance, Yachi. Be brave.

I walked over to him, ignoring Kiyoko's worried gaze. I told her about everything that happened when I got home, which concerned her. She didn't know about my plan to apologize, though.

The ground beneath me started to sway, threatening to knock me down. I tightened my fingers that were folded around the towel in my hands, gritting my teeth as I moved forward.

Keep moving.

Nothing can go wrong.

...right?

I took in a shaky breath and soon found myself standing in front of Tsukishima. He was leaning against the wall behind him.

Nothing can go wrong.

"Here," I said politely, handing him the towel in my trembling hands.

I opened my mouth to say my apology but was cut off by the shock of having my hand slapped away. The towel fell to the ground, landing in a heap. My breath was caught in my chest.

"Leave."

I bit my trembling lip and looked to the ground, every ounce of bravery evaporating in an instant.

"Tsukishima."

A strong voice from behind me said his name once and once only, not letting a single drop of emotion bleed into their words.

I turned around and saw Kiyoko. Her eyes were threateningly locked onto Tsukishima, a slight glare tinting her gaze. And that eye contact didn't waver when she spoke again.

"Don't."

He pulled in a breath and looked away, rolling his eyes.

And it was as if my memory had just disappeared, as the moments following were just wiped from my mind. Without me knowing, I found myself on the ground. My knees painfully dug themselves into the floor. My hand instinctively reached for the towel in front of me, gripping it with all of my strength as I held back my tears.

You went too far.

Deal with the consequence.

I felt a soft hand on my back. "It's not your fault," Kiyoko said, her once monotone voice melting.

With a meek nod, I stood up. Kiyoko took my hand when she saw me wobbling on my shaky legs.

"Thank you," I managed to whisper.

She responded with a nod and leaned forward. And it seemed as though she had the power to stop time, because she did so when she planted a soft kiss on my forehead. I could feel shivers go down my spine. My heart froze in that very instant, and so did I. The warmth of her lips against my skin seemed to have spread to every inch of my face. I wanted to stand there forever, because staying in that moment of bliss would've been preferable.

And even though it seemed like it, stopping the endless flow of time would be impossible.

But every inch of me begged for it to be true, especially because I didn't know what was coming next.

✧✦✧

:)

You guys aren't ready for the sleepover.

Oops, did I spoil it? Yeah, there's gonna be this very intense sleepover arc-thing so be prepared. I've been waiting to get to this part ever since I started writing this novel, and I am getting so close to it—

Anyways, if you liked this part, feel free to vote! Stay safe everyone, and remember to wear a mask!

With love,
     Kiri