19. Escape

Emée's Point of View

Queen Bali was not so gently pushing me towards the door with two guards following us. I didn't know where it lead, I couldn't tell what she was thinking or if she even suspected Marie's implication. Knowing her, her Queen position had somehow made her aware of it so I was more than reluctant to go inside.

A guard opened the door to a room full of mirrors on the walls, tables and chairs lined against them and a dressing in the middle of it. I had never been here but I guessed it was a sort of changing room for the maids when there were grand receptions like this.

The guards stayed outside and Bali waited for the door to be close to talk.

"How dare you sabotage your dress? What was your plan? I know you have one, you want to escape, don't you?" She was blasting question after question, accusing me of things she already knew. Her problem wasn't my presence, as she would be more than happy to see me gone, but she was only afraid for her kingdom's image.

I didn't answer any of her questions and let my silence speak for itself. Talking would insert doubt into her head and I didn't want her to reconsider Marie's faithfulness. But apparently she didn't like my plan. She got closer as she had an advantage with her height and dug her purple murderous look in my brown eyes.

"Tell me!" She demanded in a snake-like voice.

"I tampered the dress so I could have some time to escape. Stop wasting your time, Bali. You know you can't do anything about this wedding anymore. I've been introduced to the royals. A mysterious disappearance would bring you a lot of problems." I didn't know where I had found the guts to say that but I had.

The shock in her peculiar eyes was even more evident when surrounded with blonde hair and place skin. She didn't expect me to say that and having the truth thrown in her face hurt her more than she would ever admit.

"I will call Marie to fix that mess you made. As soon you're done, you will go back to the celebration and continue to act like the good wife you always will be because that's the only thing you can do after all." I tried to ignore her words, block their meaning and shield myself with the argument that she was doing that out of revenge.

A knock on the door interrupted our conversation. The door opened and Marie came in and I tried my best to keep a straight face despite the intense relief I was feeling only by seeing her.

"My Queen, I heard what happened. I was sure the bow was going to hold for the whole night if not more! I am deeply sorry, let me fix it right away." She sounded almost out of breath, Marie was a much better actress than I was for sure.

"My dear Marie, don't overwork yourself. Your dress was perfectly made, as always. From what I can see, it was the doings of an ill-minded person but I'm sure you can fix that in a second so we can go back to the party with no troubles." So Bali fully trusted her, that was very good to know.

"Of course my Queen." Marie bowed. Bali left the room and the seamstress turned to me with the brightest smile.

"Well, that was good!" She exclaimed. "Now, take off your dress and wear that." She said, looking for something in the dressing.

"Wait, Bali knowing about this was part of the plan?" I said, making big gestures with my hands. I wasn't usually that expressive but the stress of jumping into the unknown was kind of freaking me out.

"I had told her a few lies about seeing you messing with your dress and to watch you. It would be much more believable for me to suddenly pop out and she would never suspect me this way." Marie said, undoing my dress so I could get out of it.