14. Despair

Bali's Point of View

I was sitting by myself in the throne room, waiting for the advisors to come and more specifically the one I had spent the night with, Alexandre.

One by one, they arrived, bowing before me as they reached the throne and went to their respective spots.

At last, Alexandre came in, looking magnificent in a green toga draping in a royal way on his shoulders and showing a bit of his muscles. He looked devilishly handsome and I loved it. He held his fiancé's hand, the pitiful girl was so submissive she had become mute in big crowds. I looked at her outfit disapprovingly. She was wearing a white blouse with puffed sleeves and her green pants that matched Alexandre's outfit were too fitted. She still looked nothing like a demon and it took everything in me not to throw her out of the court.

They reached my throne and I stared into Alexandre's blue eyes, sending him a look of mischief only he could understand. It wasn't the first time my purple eyes and long blonde - almost golden - hair had seduced a man. The power of doing whatever I wanted to those men, to the King of justice himself, Rédi, was thrilling. I only lived for the thrive of the chase, I was satisfied when I knew that men's heart were between my hands and I had all power over it.

They went to sit to their spot, Alexandre's hand never leaving Emée. I sat down and everyone followed me. Today wasn't as busy as yesterday. Every advisor worked on their tasks while I answered questions and organized the everyday life of the demon territory of the Alderia.

Yesterday, the matters were a bit more important. King Rédi had come to talk about the current situation of some demons currently in jail in hero territory. His visit had surprised me, he usually did that over letters and certainly never came with his Prince and two royal guards to discuss it.

I knew something else was happening but he wouldn't tell me what and I couldn't insist despite being a Queen because he had the power to strip me out of my responsibilities. I suspected it was because of Alexandre being arrested some days before but without proof, he had been released. Now, the girl was with him and even though I didn't completely understand his obsession with her, as long as he kept me satisfied, I didn't question it.

Soon, the morning session ended and the demons all prepared to go to their private quarters for lunch. Alexandre was tiding his office, he was probably going to end the day in his private room.

Suddenly, Emée stepped out on the central alley, taking the opportunity that Alexandre no longer had his hand on her. And she surprised the whole court by opening her mouth.

"My Queen, pardon my spontaneity but can I speak to you in private?"

Her boldness took me off guard. Her voice, though quite sweet and timid, stood strong before me. I could see her hands shaking a bit, she had gathered the courage to spit that one sentence. All eyes were on her, curiously looking at the Angel demanding for something in a demon royal court. As much as I wanted to, I couldn't say no. The advisors knew nothing about her situation and Alexandre, an investigation and attention weren't needed.

"Yes you may. Come with me." I signaled at two guards to follow us for security as I lead her towards the gardens.

It was the best place to go, nobody was there and we could discuss private matters without anyone hearing us. The gardens were beautiful as well and were one of my favorite places to go.

Emée followed me down secret stairs that directly when from the throne room to the gardens. They went down spirally with a black railing and orange tiles. She was silent the whole way and looked very preoccupied but I waited for her to start talking.

"My Queen, the matter I wanted to talk to you about is quite sensitive. You see, I've been with Alexandre ever since I came here and there is a reason behind it."

My curiosity got the best of me, I hated when people didn't get to the point to make some kind of effect.

"And what would that reason be?" I asked.

"I didn't come here willingly. I'm not even his real fiancé. Alexandre kidnapped me because he needed my power to erase his scar because it's the only thing getting in the way of him being the next demon King!" She talked animatedly, obviously she just had admitted something big to me but I didn't believe her. I knew what kind of woman she was and now I had the proof she was just her to mess up the demon world.

"What you're saying is very... shocking. I know Alexandre well and he would never do such a thing. These allegations are no light thing and would give you a permanent protection from the royal hero court. Perhaps that's what you're looking for...?"

I knew the truth about her kidnapping and even though the reasons were unknown to me, I still wanted to mess up with her to get as many absurd things as possible.

"No my Queen, I swear I could never! You are the only one who can help me, I need King Rédi's help or Mother Vani's. Alexandre is not the good man you think he is. Just take a look at his chin and you will see!"

Oh no, not a good man, I thought. But now that the Angel had the guts to come talk to me, I had to see Alexandre as soon as possible. The girl was trouble and we needed to get rid of her before the truth came out to the Alderia.

"Listen, I know about your kidnapping. For some twisted reason, Alexandre has an obsession over you." I spat angrily as I saw her eyes widen in shock.

"I've helped him all along just so we could get rid of you as quick as possible."

Her mouth was open, no words coming out. Her speechlessness was understandable, she had no one to turn to now. Her legs gave out under her as she sat on a rock bench.

"Come on, get up child. Life isn't as beautiful as in fairy tales. I'll bring you to your room."

"Wait, why don't you believe me? I'm sure you have proofs that surely go my way! Isn't Mother Vani looking for me?"

"Foolish girl. I haven't heard of your Queen in a long time but if you must know I would rather sacrifice the useless life of a pitiful angel a thousand times rather than compromising the continuity of my kingdom."

"Even if it means giving power to a criminal? The balance of the Alderia is at stake!"

"You think just like a hero, it's adorable. There's no balance in a world were beings like us are led by greed, jealousy and the sole research of our own personal happiness. Demons couldn't care less of the balance, it's not our job and will never be. You think being a Queen is easy? You don't have the slightest idea what that job means. The constant challenge to be the best or the threat of being taken down by someone better. Enemies aren't just mean people, they are after your life. Emée, you are naive like every angel I have met and as long as your problems are no threat to my life, I have no interest in them."

I had had enough talking to Emée, her angelic ways of looking at life were irritating and I could only find satisfaction in the fact that she would soon be out of my sight for good.

"Guards, take her to Alexandre's room."

"No! Please my Queen trust me!"

"Take her." I repeated coldly and left in another part of the garden while she was led back to the castle.

I wasn't afraid of Alexandre knowing about her true nature just yet. Her plans to escape to the royal hero court were ruined and the punishment she was going to receive from talking to the whole court without permission was going to give me some time to think.

I needed to bring the matter intelligently to Alexandre so that he would never think about kidnapping another Angel ever again. They were beautiful creatures but pretty naive and stupid and this Emée was honestly no match for the Queen of demons.

Alexandre had told me the kidnapping was just a service he  asked from me but I was going to make sure it was the last.