Chapter 39: Destiny

Start from the beginning

"Let's hope so." Aidan sighed. A pounding on the door soon startled everyone. "Come in!" Aidan said after he'd recovered from the shock, taking in a deep breath to calm his beating heart.

"Your majesties." A servant entered, almost tumbling over his own feet as he breathed hastily. "There's someone who I think you'd like to meet." He said out of breath, finally managing to lift his eyes to look at us. Obi-Wan and I glanced at each other as the others waited in anticipation. "She came in just a few minutes ago together with some reinforcements, your majesty."

"Well, bring her in!" Aidan stood up from his chair.

A middle-aged woman soon appeared in the doorway with long, brown hair that cascaded down till around her waist, prominent cheek bones and crashing green eyes. I sat up immediately, narrowing my eyes as a hint of recognition sparked within me. The woman seemed ancient yet young, her stance vast and self-assured. Her stern eyes glided over everyone, her presence somehow demanding respect instantly till she saw me.

"What is your name?" Aidan questioned, a hint of amazement in his eyes but she ignored him, walking towards me without even muttering a word. From the corner of my eye I saw Obi-Wan instinctively grasping for his lightsaber but when she didn't make any move, he relaxed.

"Phoenix." The woman bowed before me yet she didn't seem submissive in the slightest. "I've waited a long time for you." She looked at me expectantly but the words seemed stuck in my throat. As Aidan continued to ask her questions she suddenly lifted her arm, motioning for him to stop talking. Even though he was king he couldn't help but stop instantly, taking aback by her bluntness as he stared at her. "Almost 400 years, to be exact."

"What can I do for you?" I asked after I recovered my voice, staring at her as she smiled and walked around the chair I was sitting in. Everyone was dead silent as they continued to stare at her.

"My name is Eveline." It almost sounded like she sang as she seemed to glide over the floor, her fingers tracing the chairs she walked by. Obi-Wan looked at her as if he were entranced, freezing in place when she passed him. "I'm your mother's sister, your aunt."

"That's impossible." I scoffed, narrowing my eyes as she stopped in her tracks. I felt a sting of jealousy as he grasped Obi-Wan's chair and stayed behind him. "No Valerian can survive that long, my family lived ages ago. I'm only alive because my mother sent me forward in time."

"And I'm alive because I am time." She looked at me intensely. "I took your mother's power right after she was killed and escaped the purge your father invoked. I am, frankly, the last timeturner."

"Well, that's wonderful news!" Aidan clapped his hands together, a smile covering his face from ear to ear. The sound felt odd, especially when Eveline and I continued to stare at each other and Obi-Wan shifted uncomfortably in his chair as he felt her warmth behind him. "Right?" Aidan's gaze darted between us two.

"So, you ran when all timeturners were killed?" I ignored my brother, leaning forward in my chair. Studying her, I didn't see any scar or sign that she had ever fought a battle. Quite the contrary, everything about her appearance was perfect. I couldn't find a single flaw. "You hid when the world was falling apart around you?" A growl was laced through my voice as I spoke, my eyes narrowing even further. "When Arthas first escaped, you watched as hundreds died and still did nothing?!"

"Careful, little one." Eveline remained calm as she looked at me. Her hand went to Obi-Wan's shoulder, holding him in place. Another growl escaped from my lips as I balled my hands into fists when his eyes widened and his body froze even further. "You're beginning to sound like your father."

As Eveline and I continued to battle each other for dominance with our hard stares, Aidan cleared his throat to get our attention. Even though he didn't succeed in the slightest he spoke. "So, are you here to help us defeat Arthas?"