Chapter 9

(One month later)
Erik.
I lead Christine back up to the roof. Her ribs are mostly healed now, so it's easier for her to make her way up the trap door.
She still needs my help on the statue though.
She lays down against the wing of the statue next to me.
Now for what's been on my mind all week.
"If we could would you-" my voice starts cutting out. I'm so worried. I've already screwed up.
"Pardon me?" She looks very confused.
"I mean," I clear my throat. And take her hands in mine. "If I were to ask, would you marry me?"
"Are you asking?"
"Well, I am yes."
"Then I would love to." Her response is probably the best possible scenario. Joy surges through me.
"But." She starts, my heart starts to sink. "How would we do it? You're a wanted criminal."
"We could just do it by ourselves. I'm trained in many things. Including marriage officiant."
"Is it legal for you to officiate for your own wedding?"
"Is it legal for me to kidnap and kill?" Maybe not the best comparison.
"Well no."
"Exactly."
"Then let's do it now. Is now alright?"
"Yes of course." I position myself to face her. "Do you Christine, what's your middle name?"
"Elizabeth."
"Do you Christine Elizabeth Daaé take risks man to be your husband?"
"Yes, I do."
"Then do you Erik Destler, take this woman to be your wife." I wait a moment, before saying, "I do."
Christine smiles.
"We can kiss now." I whisper. Which we do in fact.
"Can we come down from the statue?" I ask. It would be easier for me to hold and embrace her if I'm standing, and I also worry I will fall of the statue in giddy joy.
She slides down the side. I follow.
My heart is racing. I mean, it wasn't exactly real. But it was real to us. So it makes me happy.
My fingers run through her short brown hair. She traces my cheekbone with her thumb. The grin on her face looks as plastered as mine. I'm so happy and exited that I can bearely stand. Luckily I have her for support.
In all my life I never thought I would be this happy.