Help Me Brother

"What! How?" My breathing hitched and quickened in seconds. I tried to answer his question but I felt so out of breath. Like I needed to continuously keep breathing or I would die. Unfortunately that's what hyperventilating was.

"What's going on?" Tears sprung to my eyes as I realized I was going to die. Not have a chance to die, but ACTUALLY DIE! "I can't *Gasp* breath!" Lucifer placed a hand on my shoulder, unsure what to do. "Think about it. I've been tired all day, hyperventilating, losing control of limbs." Lucifer was starting to panic. He lifted me into his arms and carried me inside.

"Detective!" Chloe turned in alarm and rushed over at the sight of her partner clutching his daughter in his arms with a look of fear in his eyes.

"What happened to her?" I tried to speak but I was too busy trying to catch my breath.

"She was poisoned. I don't know how but it must be the same kind." How did I get poisoned? Oh shit. The water. How could I have been so careless!

Chloe knelt down beside where Lucifer placed me on the ground. "Lauren, you're the expert. What is the cure?" See that's the thing.

"There is *gasp* none." Lucifer twists his head to the ceiling, looking stressed.

"How did this happen?"

"Lucifer, we need to get her to a hospital." I was lifted from the ground and quickly passed out from sheer exhaustion.

***

My brain switched between consciousness and unconsciousness. When I fully woke up, I was in a bright white room. Lucifer was standing by the window, looking out into the world. The window facing the hallway had open blinds and I could see Chloe talking with Dan. Both looked super worried.

My head pounded and I reached my hands up to rub my temples. At the sound of ruffling sheets, Lucifer turns around and gives a small smile at me.

"Morning." I look behind him at the black of night.

"Morning? What's the time?" He looks at an expensive watch before responding.

"3:45 in the morning." Bloody hell it was late. Or rather, early.

"Um, what happened?" His smile stayed plastered on his face but it quickly left his eyes.

"The lab results came back on our victim. You were right. The poison was indeed, the one you described. Which means you have it too." Shit. Shit shit shit.

"Okay, well, what do we do?" I tried to keep the worry from my face but my voice wavered in fear which he quickly caught.

"Hey, it's going to be fine. Alright? You will be fine." I wasn't so sure.

"Do you think I'll go to hell if I die?" What would happen if I died?

"Don't say that. You are going to get better. We just need to find a cure." But there is no cure.

The door opened and Dan walked in. "Hey, how are you feeling?" How did I feel? Like shit. I was still exhausted, despite my hours of rest. My legs felt dead. And my head pounded making me feel like I was hit by a train. Multiple times.

"I'm fine." A lie. obviously. They knew that but they didn't say anything.

"Lucifer, can I see you outside please." He nodded and followed Dan out into the hall where Chloe met them and they started to talk. There was no way I was spending the last few moments of my life in a hospital. I did the math in my head. The poison was used at 5:00 yesterday morning. I drank the poison at 10:00 yesterday morning. The poison gets less effective by the hour meaning I had around 52 hours since I drank it till I dropped dead. That had been nearly 17 hours ago meaning I had 35 hours left. This was going to be interesting.

***

Lucifer's POV

This was not how I wanted this to go. I found it strange to find myself so worried over a girl I only met fairly recently. But knowing that my daughter was going to die just hit me square in the face.

I hadn't even given myself time for it to register. She was the devil's daughter for crying out loud. She shouldn't even be affected by this. It wasn't right!

She was half angel. Or rather, devil. A human poison should not be affecting her like this. Why was this happening? These were questions I could not answer, so I excused myself from Chloe and Douche, to make a call to a certain egotistical saint.

I found an empty cleaning closet and put my hands together to call him. A swish of wind brought a familiar feeling into the room and I smiled before turning to face him. "You called. I hope you have reconsidered what I said about Lauren."

Bloody hell, did everything have to be about him? "No, I require your help with something. Lauren has found herself to be sick. Poisoned, to be exact. Which, as you know, shouldn't happen. Human poisons should have no effect on us."

An unfamiliar expression crossed his face but I ignored it as it quickly disappeared. "Oh Luci. This is what I was talking about. As long as she is with you, Lauren is in danger."

How could this possibly be my fault? "That doesn't make any sense or have any logic behind it. Lauren getting poisoned was not my fault." He gave me his annoying, cocky, knowing grin.

"And where was she when she got poisoned?"

" Well she was at the florist shop we were investigating."

"And why was she at your work?"

" Because she has bipolar brother. I'm not supposed to leave her by herself."

"And why are you the one to stay with her?"

"Because she asked me to. When I found out she was my daughter I decided I would try to help her."

"So she was there because you found out who she was?"

I finally saw what he was getting at. "That proves nothing." He was quick to jump onto my argument.

"Don't you see Luci? Every second she spends with you. Means bad luck for her. She is not safe with you."

With a big sigh, I tried to be the bigger person and move past this petty argument. "Look. She's poisoned now. We can't go back to change it. I just need your help to save her. Lauren says that this poison is deadly and there is no cure. Can you help me brother?"

His reaction was not the one I was looking for. A sad smile was placed across his face and I knew the news wasn't good. "I'm sorry Luci. If she is human enough for this to affect her, there is nothing I can do."

No. No no no! He had to know how to fix her. This could not be the end. She had to live. "You don't understand brother. I need her to survive. Please, is there anything you can do?" I was getting desperate and I didn't bother hiding it.

"I'm sorry Luci. Just spend the time you can with her. That's my only advice." With a flap of his wings, he was gone. My fist. Connected with a shelf and boxes of cleaning products rained on my head. The corner of a box hit my head and a small cut appeared.

The door opened to reveal Chloe who walked in and closed the door. "How are you doing? I'm not even going to ask why you are in a broom closet. I can't imagine what you're going through."

No. She couldn't. Not even I knew what I was feeling. To be honest, the only one who could probably have any idea what I was feeling, was Lauren. I needed to see her. It was a struggle as I didn't want her to know I failed her, but I needed to see her and let her know I cared. Yes, I cared for her. She was the devil's weakness.