made it

possible trigger warning
< mentions suicide attempt >

to most other people today was simply a day. to you however, it marks a major turning point in your life. and demi made sure you knew it was a cause for celebration.

you think back to when you were only fifteen years old. you hadn't done anything remarkable and you were barely a mumble at family gatherings. but on this day in particular, ten years ago to date, you had made and went through with a decision that would change everything. you had attempted to end your life.

you failed and for the longest time you hated yourself for having made it through. the three months that followed were spent in a psychiatric hospital where you learned to appreciate the simplest things, like a small pink flower in a field of grass or a butterfly landing close enough for you to see its colors.

throughout that next year, you went to weekly appointments with a therapist. you learned to find strength within yourself and comfort in the people around you. it was a grueling process and you truly thought it would last forever. you joined support groups and made friends with people who had stories similar to yours.

at seventeen you decided to share your story in hopes of shedding light to such a serious topic. you created a safe space for people who have struggled or are struggled to help each other by sharing their stories and interacting with one another.

by eighteen you had gained a sort of following. people looked up to you and found hope in your ability to overcome your past. you had become an advocate for mental health and would occasionally be invited to events centered around improving and increasing the conversation of mental illness .

when you were twenty, you would experience something that would again change your life. this one however, was entirely good. at twenty you met demi. she was a friend in the darkness that had started to return. she encouraged you to seek help again and would be there to comfort you on days that clouded your vision with uncomfortable darkness.

by twenty one, you had brought yourself back from the edge numerous times. and demi was still by your side. except she wasn't a friend anymore. now she was your lover, your girlfriend.

at twenty three you no longer identified as miss. you had made it official with demi. and every time you were able to call her your wife brought a cheeky grin to your face. you were happier than you ever thought you could be.

ten years ago today, you had failed at suicide. now, at twenty five, you were a survivor of suicide.

today, you and demi spent the day celebrating life in all its glory, small and grand. you watched the sunrise. had a picnic where you admired the butterflies and flowers. walked along the beach eternally grateful for the ability to feel the water splashing against your bare feet. you both made dinner and settled down on the couch to watch a movie.

but the best part of it all is the way demi gently rested her hand atop your rounded belly. the best part is that in just a few months time, you'll be able to share your admiration for life with a new life. a life created of love. you'd soon be welcoming a child and you promised that they'd never walk through the dark alone. you'd protect them, comfort them and love them until your very last breath.

in ten years, you had made it through many struggles. but you had also experienced so much joy. you had created a platform, you had created a life for yourself. and, at last, you were excited for the future and its adventures.

- - -

hiii (: it's been a long while and i'm sorryyy. i hope you all are safe and well! i came up with this and thought it would be a good way to encourage myself and all of you lovelies to keep going even though it's hard. with everything going on, i feel like we're all in need of a little hope. i'm here if you want to talk. 🤍