X - YOUR FLIRTING SKILLS SUCK

Start from the beginning

Perrie can be mysterious in some ways, considering her mental problems and how it is driving me crazy every time she forgets anything pertaining to me. But other than that, Perrie drives me crazy just by offering an innocuous but flirtatious remark.

From that alone, I can at least admit that Perrie can take my breath away without doing anything but breathe. But can I consider this as falling in love?

"No," I answer her and the question in mind. "No, I am not falling for that woman."

Another snort is heard on the other line with Jesy before she responds, "You sure about that? Because if I'm not mistaken, it took you a few seconds to answer."

"I had to bite back any rude comment for your stupid question, so I apologize."

"Sure, babe."

I groaned, "Ugh, you're so annoying."

A mother and her daughter caught my eye. They were seated on the beach bench near a surf shop and were both wearing their swimsuits with their dirty blonde hair tied up. A picture of Perrie and her little sister invaded my thoughts once again.

And suddenly, I was hit by an epiphany.

"Jesy, what's the best gift you can give to a kid on her birthday?"

XXX

Perrie was out of sight when I entered the restaurant once again. With my purse and the paper bag containing my gift for Caitlyn clutched within my hand, I slip inside my seat from awhile ago, placing the both of them on top.

I fished for my phone from my purse then started browsing through Instagram. It went on like that for a few minutes, until I hear my name brought up in a conversation between two women at the table behind me.

"Jade Thirlwall? Isn't she the actress who slept with directors for movie roles?"

My whole upper body tensed, and my grip on my phone tightened as those words reach my ears, unsolicited. It took every ounce of my being not to swivel around and look them square in the eye.

I turned my head a little bit to the right, not enough to seem suspicious, but enough for one of my ears to hear them clearly. I let my eyes fixate their attention on the waves crashing against the sand, but focused my ears on the conversation between the women behind me.

"I heard she slept with Steve Harrington this time," the same woman apprises, her tone associated with that kind that you know is reserved for juicy gossips.

I hear the other woman gasp. "Steve Harrington? Isn't he the director of the movie she's leading right now? 'Loving You', right?"

I close my eyes and concentrate on heaving deep breaths to alleviate the apprehensive feeling. A bead of sweat formed on my brow and I incontinently swipe at it my with the back of my hand as I try to focus on their conversation. Not now. Not now. Not. Now.

"Mhmm. Not surprised, though. The first time I laid eyes on her, I knew she's trouble."

"You don't say," replies the other woman. "And to think that she's already twenty-five years old! She's a grown woman now, and an actress for Pete's sake! She thinks that Hollywood is all about taking advantage of people's ranks and that it will do her good. But I hope one day, karma gets back at her. Maybe she just needs someone to -"

She cut off what she tried to say for some unknown reason. Then I hear the crunching of sand as another person walks towards them. I take advantage of this somewhat interlude and try to gain my composure.

"Excuse me, ladies. Is there anything you'd want?"

My eyes shot open and my eyebrows rose in astonishment when I hear Perrie's voice. The hairs at the back of my neck stood tall when I hear the low timbre of her voice. It sounded as if she was ... pissed. A number of questions bombarded my mind. Did she not see me sitting in front of these women? Did she not see me walk in? Did she overhear their conversation? Did she come in just in time to butt in?

"Ah, yes," the woman who was the first to bring up my name chuckles. "Just bacon and cheese would be nice. What about you, Clara?"

"I'm good. I already ate on the way," Clara replies.

I crossed my arms, feeling indignant. My leg bounced uncontrollably as I feel rage seeping through. What was the other woman supposed to say before Perrie butted in? What do I need someone for? To ground me? To teach me a lesson? I silently fumed at the ridiculousness of everything. I could almost imagine the beach bench on fire because of the heat my glare is ensuing.

"I hear you were talking about Jade Thirlwall."

Her statement almost made me turn around. If I was a dog, my ears would perk up at the mention of my name, rolling from her lips. I feel my breath hitch once more at how she enunciated my name — as if it was a precious name to her; as if she feels as though my name is only for her to recite and solely for her.

"Were we?" the other woman — Clara — asks, feigning innocence. She chuckles, "Sweetie, you shouldn't be eavesdropping in the first place. Are you even sure you heard us correctly?"

Silence reigned, and I can imagine Perrie giving a 'what the fuck are you women onto?' Damn, if only I can look at her face.

"Maybe we were talking about how gorgeous you are, blondie," The unnamed woman shamelessly flirts with her.

My jaw visibly clenched at her audacity. I'm probably certain that my phone would break any second at how tight my clutch on it is. Oh, if that woman only knew how much I wanted to choke her just by saying those mere words.

If she thinks Perrie would give in to whatever charm she thinks she has up on her sleeve, she thinks absolutely wrong. I blinked and shook it off. My eyebrows furrowed at my thoughts. What was I saying to myself?

"For your information, your flirting skills suck. And it won't get you anywhere with someone who's friends with Jade Thirlwall," Perrie retorts.

A blush crept up, reddening my cheeks profusely. My attempt at biting my lower lip to stave off a giddy smile has been to no avail as my lips curled up at the edges, plastering a smile on my face at the thought of Perrie standing by my side. I guess we are really friends, after all.

Told ya, woman. She won't give in. Now stay in your lane.

"Is this how you treat your customers?" Clara scoffs, her tone clipped in defense for her friend. "Because if that's the case then I wouldn't mind talking to your manager about your disposition."

I rolled my eyes at that. Who does she think she is, anyway?

"You're actually talking to her right now, sweetie."