08. Angel of Death

Start from the beginning

I shoot him again but this time my target is his leg as he collapses on the ground screaming in agony and clutching his leg with his good hand, violently shaking. I don't know where the bullshit in the Hollywood movies came from, where the main character is able to hike twelve miles, find the love of his life, and save the world with a bullet hole in his shoulder or leg but I'll hurry to disappoint you, through-and-through wounds can be as dangerous for life as the ones hitting the major organs or arteries. He'll die from blood loss if he doesn't get help soon. But do I care? No.

As I approach him slowly I know exactly what I look like now, with blood smashed all over my face and sleeves. I look like a fox ready to pounce, like a predator, like the killer I am. The expression on my face is that of a hungry wolf waiting for a taste of blood, waiting for her meal. The look in my eyes is probably deadlier than it has ever been, I don't look like a human being, I don't feel like a human, the human side of me shut down the moment Daniel's blood slipped through my fingers.

The boy crawls back with every step I take towards him, he looks awfully young for this kind of things, and again I was 17 when I first took the responsibility of ending a life, exactly 8 years ago. Finally, he hit his back to the wall and a mixture of shock and fear crosses his face as he realizes he has nowhere to escape. I feel a presence behind me but I don't turn around. I know they are watching me.

I crouch down in front of him staring at his boyish features. "Do you know why you're alive?" My voice comes out eerily steady, he shakes his head. "You're a messenger, a small human note that I'll leave for whoever comes after you"

A sly smile reaches my lips as I lean down taking his chin between my fingers, leaving a trace of blood on his face "Tell them " I whisper quietly " that they managed to piss me off" I say each word with precise clarity "Tell them that we will continue this cat and mouse game, but now I'm going to be the cat and they are the mouse. Tell them that they picked a fight with the wrong person and there's a war coming their way" I look him in the eyes letting go of his chin as he nods vigorously, I smile again tapping his nose leaving another bloody mark on the tip of his nose.

I straighten up heading towards the exit but I stop on my tracks feeling someone's gaze on me, however, I don't turn around to face them. "Now that you helped me, you're a target as well, they'll come after you" is all I say before leaving the house and stepping out into the chilly air of this bright morning, I drop my head, full weight of what I've been trying not to believe landing on me.

I take off running towards the forest into the unknown. I run like crazy as if at some point there'll be a break and I'll fall off, leaving this world behind. I run breathing heavily as the cool air burns my lungs, dry branches, and fallen leaves crunch beneath my feet. Deeper into the forest I go less illuminated it gets, the sky almost vanishing completely as the trees cover every fragment of it.

I trip on something and fall landing on my hands, gripping the cold leaves on the ground. And that's when I break. Locked tears unleash themselves, watering my eyes as a suppressed scream breaks loose. My bloody hand covers my mouth as another one clutches the nearby tree as if it will help somehow.

I pull myself into a ball, my hands covering my face, not caring that the mixture of dirt and blood is now all over my face. I cry with more violence than any gale. Letting the reality to sink in is a torture to my soul. I don't break quietly, it's like every atom of my being screams in unison, traumatized that I should exist with the thought that my friend died because of me.

Tears of hopelessness, fear, uselessness, and anger muffle the world around me. But that anger is nothing but a shield for pain, pain that eats me from inside.

My fingers intertwine with the strings of my hair, pulling it out strongly, as let out a suppressed cry. The soil ground is cold but I'm not really aware of it. My body shakes as I let go of all the emotions that have coursed through me moments before. The barrier that I built around me shatters into a million pieces.

I break, just like this. They managed to break me again.

The only thing that comes clear to me is that this time I won't run away. I won't leave again, turning my back to my fate. I'm sick of this cat and mouse game, and if we're going to play it, from now on we will play it by my rules. They wanted a fight? I'll give them a fucking war.

🦋 𖦹 🦋 𖦹 🦋

I'll say it first I'm not satisfied with this chapter. I don't think I could put enough emotion in all this so maybe later I'll rewrite this chapter again.

Let me know what you think. And I mean it, your opinion is very important, so please talk or maybe I should say type?

Well. No one likes long boring author's notes so, don't forget to vote and . . .

Till next time, purple yaa. . . 💜💜