Karma Hits Harder

Start from the beginning

Harvey lets go of her hand and reaches up to her face. Instead of wiping away her tears like before he leans up gently kissing her. A jolt of electricity ran through her catching her off guard but embraces his affection. Tears stream down her cheeks making Harvey pull away and gently stroke her cheeks.

"What did I say about crying?" He jokes and softly laughs, "I think we need to address the elephant in the room." He blushes.

Adella nods and wipes her eyes, "Yeah I think so too."

"Adella..." Harvey starts blushing more, "I really, really like you... I've had a crush on you for as long as we've known each other and... I was really scared to tell you..."

"I had a feeling you liked me ever since our second kiss." She joked smiling happily, "I really like you too but I was scared to tell you also because I liked being your friend and a part of me was worried you didn't feel the same."

"Guess we were just scared about nothing." He chuckles still holding her face in his hands.

"Maybe Ashley since you're technically still with her." Adella mentions.

"Yeah but I won't be in a few hours," he glances at his watch, "We should get some rest."

"Agreed."

-<~***~>-

Later at the fair, Adella entered her finest produce for the grange display competition. Judging didn't start in almost an hour and the other competitors are still setting up.

"Hey, best of luck to you." Marnie smiles at her, "It's tough to beat Pierre though."

"Yeah," Adella nods looking at the display to her left, "But thanks and good luck to you too." She smiles back.

"About time you two show up." Marnie's attention turned over to Shane and Jas pushing in a giant cheese wheel on a cart.

"That new doctor lady was yelling at Dr. Harvey right outside the ranch Aunt Marnie!" Jas states, "She yelled a lot of bad words at him..."

"And I don't want hear anything of those words come out of your young lady." Shane instructed.

"Yes, Uncle Shane."

"I should probably see what's up, I'll probably be back before judging." Adella states finishing up her display.

"Kick her ass, Adella!" Jas cheers then quickly frowns getting glared at by Marnie and Shane.

"Jas!" They both gasped and the farmer laughs making her way to Cindersnap Forest.

Ashley's shouting grew louder and louder as she got closer to the ranch. She sees two going back and forth where Harvey is remaining calm standing there like a verbal punching bag while Ashley is a lot more animated throwing her arms in all directions.

Adella walks closer to them before announcing her presences, "Hey!" She alerts them.

Harvey gave a look at her like she was coming in to save the day and Ashley glared at her with steam coming out of her ears.

"You fucking bitch!" She growls starting to storm over at her.

"Ashley don't—" Harvey reaches for her but Ashley pulls her arm away.

"Don't you dare touch me!" Ashley hisses venom at him and follows through by slapping him across the face.

It echoed throughout the forest like a thunderstorm was on its way. The force from her hand knocked his glasses off and nearly did the same for the over six foot man. After everything Adella has tolerated and witnessed, her hitting him was the line in the sand.

Adella clenches her fist and swings knocking her flat on the ground. She stands over ready to put her down in case Ashley got up again. Adella grabs Ashley by her jacket pulling her closer for her full attention.

"You never deserved him," she growls, "Just be lucky I'm not kicking the shit out of you." She lets go and walks over to a blind Harvey.

"Are you alright?" Adella asks helping him find his glasses.

"Y...yeah I'm okay..." He looks at her in a general direction.

His face was blotchy, his eyes were puffy and glazed over, and a bright red handprint stood out on his face. Just looking at it she knew it stung. She finds his glasses in a bush and places them in his hand.

"Thanks..." Harvey looks at her then turns away embarrassed that she had to see him like this.

"C'mon Harves," Adella helps him up, "Lets get you cleaned up." She holds his hand and leans up to kiss his cheek that wasn't red.

They walk back to the farm house and Harvey tries to keep his composure as she helps him freshen up. The whole relationship to him was so traumatic that he completely broke down in front her. For the rest of the day, the two stayed inside and the farmer comforts the doctor that his ordeal is finally over. It wasn't until later that night Adella found out she came in first place at the fair.