25 | A Surprise

"How can you be sure she's Anne?" Roman asked his brother, his teeth grinding.

"It's not Anne," I whispered, making all three heads swing my way with equally questioning eyes. "It's not." My voice tried to sound steady.

Roman glowered at the suspected girl climbing up the stairs. She didn't flinch at his deadly stare, but she did flash her fangs at him. "Who the hell is she, then?" he snapped, tightening his hand on around mine.

Victoria -- Molly's green eyes grazed over my face and she disappeared upstairs, never taking her eyes away from me. "She's Molly."

I felt chills run down the entire length of my back, raising the hairs at the back of my neck like a cold, icy wind rushing behind me. I tightened my grip on Rome's hand.

"Molly?" they echoed. It was obvious that they couldn't believe what they'd just heard. I couldn't give them an answer.

Gabriel paced back and forth while his two siblings had no words to say. "But I thought she..."

"Died?" Georgie scoffed. "She's an Immortal, Gabe."

"True. But how can you explain her disappearance? She was --"

"She was supposed to protect Venise," Roman hissed, putting an arm around me. "That's what an acolyte does. She vanished for nearly two centuries without a word!"

He looked at me with searching eyes. "Are you really sure she's --"

"Oh, for the love of God, Roman," Georgie burst out, flailing her arms at him. "She said she's sure! We all are." She glanced at Gabriel to see his reaction, but he just shrugged, stepping back, clearly avoiding a siblings' spar.

Roman turned to face his sister. "I didn't ask for your opinion, now, did I?" he said sarcastically.

That earned him a scowl.

"Stop, you guys," I pleaded quietly, looking at both of them. If we weren't on the brink of danger, I would have laughed, enjoying Roman and G banter. Even Gabriel would join in the fun with me. But these were trying times and Anne was determined to see her loving sister dead and gone for good. Gabe looked at me at that, his icy blue eyes full of unanswered questions about the mystery of Anna Marianne Gansevoort Fizenstuart.

"I think we should take this conversation somewhere private," I said silently, seeing that some of the wandering students that didn't have practice were eyeing us curiously, talking about us in whispers.

"Van Allen!" we heard a familiar say. Three Van Allen heads swung to the direction where the voice led, and saw that it was Hugo Valtimoore, perching a red and white soccer ball on his hip, and the other, holding Shersten Ambria's hand. As usual, these two were together, looking so adorable as a couple. In just the first day of school, Hugo and Shersten were immensely liked for their friendliness; branding them as one of the popular kids here in Vanmour. They were also the most attractive couple, only second to Gabriel and I. Though, now, I was with Gabe's brother, who was known for being thoroughly callous. How was I able to come up with a scheme to snare such handsome brothers? Well, that was what they thought anyway.

"And which Van Allen are you looking for?" Georgie queried sweetly, having fun being playful and teasing.

Hugo blinked, confused at seeing Roman with me. "I assume he's your brother too?" he asked her.

She glanced at Roman and nodded in Hugo's direction, her nose adorably scrunched. "He's adopted."

I swatted her arm. Despite our situation, Gabriel gave a laugh; Roman's lips twitched slightly. Georgie yelped. "I was only kidding!Sheesh."