5 | To Remember

Someone was calling my name.

One deep familiar voice that I couldn't figure out. Remember me, Venise...he said inside my head. But I felt his warm breath in my ear, like he was just there beside me on the bed. I turned my head to the side yet there wasn't anyone but me here. I turned to another side on the bed and rested my hands on the side of my head, staring at the window outside that was full of never-ending droplets of heavy rain pounding on the roof. I lay there cold and yet I knew that the heat from the fireplace outside reached this tiny room.

Who ever called my name, I didn't care much right now. It couldn't be Alexander. That was not his voice. This was rich and velvety like Roman's or Gabriel's, though it wasn't them. I was sure. There was a knock on my door, but I chose not to answer. It opened and I heard footsteps crossing the room toward my bed.

Roman touched my arm lightly, and said, "I know you're awake, Venise. Come on, we have to leave right now."

It was like nothing happened hours ago between us. I did something only God knew what! I had tried to seduce him and he was near to feeling some desire and came to agreeing. He had restraint, and I'd been an idiot. I didn't even know what I did, exactly. Though I knew someone was controlling me.

I turned to look at him, my eyes blank and pale green. "Where are we going now?"

"Home."

He was not talking about my newfound father's castle. He was talking about their mansion. I wanted to see Georgie and Axel again. Georgie's twin, Gabriel, and I didn't come to terms that well before I left but I hoped we could work things out again. I would see all his siblings, including the eldest, Alistair.

My heart gave a leap at the thought of seeing the Van Allens once again and I got up on my feet and went for the door with Roman trailing behind me silently. We didn't speak. I knew I couldn't because of what I did to him. It was humiliating.

He didn't say anything because...I didn't know. It was simply him. He chose to talk whenever he felt like it.

"Go inside the car," he said, fishing out the keys in his pocket. "I'll be there in a minute."

I took the keys from his hand, but I didn't move from my place. I stared at his back. He kept the paper bag full of food hours ago away, and he turned out the fire. He stood to one side of the room, then stared at the wall in front of him, glaring. He was concentrating on something. Nothing seemed to happen, but I knew something actually did because he turned around swiftly and nodded for me to get out of the cottage. I obliged and pressed the button of his sleek black car, heading inside the passenger's seat and starting the car. Roman looked at everything around him, and I saw the door shut by itself, the ground growing into a muddy mess, the trees swaying. He was controlling them...

I stared inside the car with water dripping from my titian hair, stunned. What was he doing?

He came toward the car, then he got inside and set the shift to reverse, and we were gone.

"VENISE!" Georgir screeched, running down the stairs and into my unready arms.

I'd just opened the door and there she'd been, running like the speed of light with her long legs. For a seventeen-year-old in human age, Georgiana Van Allen was five-foot-ten with a slender figure and a beautiful, ethereal face. She had these large, beautiful violet eyes that always glowed, rosy cheeks, and a nose that was long and straight like all her brothers had. Her lips were beestung and full, and she had waist-length tresses that resembled spun gold. She could pass for a Victoria's Secret angel with her whole look, to be honest. More reason one could hate her, but I certainly didn't. She had a kind heart and an even beautiful soul. Although I pretty much envied her height, because I was only up to her mid arm, having the average height and all.