☾hapter TWELVE

"We need to talk

"We need to talk."

"Excuse me?"

Motioning to the spare room behind them, Nate repeated the same words and left for her to follow behind. Excusing herself from the guys, Zara trailed behind him, curious to know what this was about.

Waiting for her to pass through, Nate closed and locked the door behind her. Curiosity bloomed inside of her when she turned around to face him.

"What's this about?"

"Take a seat, please." He raised his hand up and directed it to one of the chairs surrounding the conference table. "I think this conversation is long overdue."

Still not knowing where this was heading, Zara sat down. "What is long overdue?"

She quickly narrowed her eyes when Nate began to drum the table with his fingers. The steady thump as his flesh met the wood was loud in the deathly silence that had befallen on the two.

"You. This flower. Zara," a sigh left him and she felt the sudden need to lay a hand on his tense shoulders. "Remember what you told me a few weeks ago, about being here if I need to talk about things? Well, now I'm offering you the same thing. You know you can trust me, right? I thought we were friends — or at least getting to that point."

Zara nibbled her bottom lip as she continued staring at him, contemplating on whether or not to tell him. But she was tired of keeping this secret. Tired of not having someone to actually confide in.

And now, after a freak accident had thrown them both together, she could acknowledge that she had received something beautiful out of it. A friend.

Time for the truth to finally come out, she thought.

"I started—"

The door banged opened behind them, breaking the lock and startling the two. Zeke, one of the Alpha males in their team, stood at the door. His cat shaped eyes, which hid a dark chocolate brown gaze, were heavy with aggravation. As one, Zara and Nate got up from their chairs.

"What's wrong?"

"We need you two. Now."

Zara made her way to the door. A quick glance at Nate in front of her, showed that he too was brimming with aggression. As soon as they made their way out of the room, the scene before them made them come to a full stop.

The office was in chaos.

Phones were ringing while shouting was heard all around the floor. Some officers ran right past them, trying to get into the closing elevator doors while hurriedly putting their jackets on. Confused, she walked up to Zeke.

But the male left his post by the door and began to walk away, heading straight for his bag laying on his desk. Zara followed the male, only to change course when she saw Ivan, another male in their team, making his way towards them.