Stolen Rings

One Year after Epilogue...

Two weeks before the day...

"Hey Con, how about this one?" I turned to my best friend for a second opinion, but found the space next to me empty. Like a dog chasing its tail, I spun in circles until my eyes landed on Conner, who was now standing on the other side of the store talking to one of the employees. Sighing, I grabbed my crutch and limped over, holding my cast clad foot off the floor.

In primary school, there was always that one kid you would hate. Hate them with such passion you thought you would explode in a supernova of pure, unadulterated loathing. I thought I would never hate more than that, but during our game three weeks ago, I was proven wrong.

I despised my cast. 

The bell had rung, signaling first intermission, and I was skating to the rest area. I looked up to see Elle waiting at the entrance and I got tunnel vision. I didn't hear Edi warning me that the puck was right in front of me. And that my skate would get caught on it. I cringed, still sour about the memory. This could only happen to me, I swear. Shaking my head, I continued on my route to Conner, catching him just as his conversation with the employee ended. 

"You know," I began. "You're supposed to be helping me, Mr. I've-already-proposed-to-my-girlfriend." 

Conner rolled his eyes. "It's not my fault the woman recognized me. I mean, who would forget this face?" I lamely punched his shoulder and pulled him back to the ring showcase. "Before you so rudely ditched me, I was asking what you thought of this ring."

The silver band had a trail of the smallest diamonds I'd ever seen running around the middle. The polished silver itself shined like the stones; and on its top was a simple oval-cut diamond.

"I guess so. I mean, it's definitely pretty, but I don't know."

"How the hell did you pick Kelly's ring?"

"You know that woman I was talking to?" I nodded. "She may have helped me a little..."

I slapped his arm. "Ow!" Conner yelled, some heads turned distastefully in our direction. "Okay! Maybe she helped a lot!" I chuckled softly as I called over a cashier. "I'd like this one please." I said, pointing. He nodded; commending my choice as he gently pulled it out of the display case.

"Now will this fit her, or should I bring you more sizes?"

I could practically feel the blood retreating from my face. "S-sizes? Rings have... sizes?" I turn to Conner who simply shrugs. I groaned, slapping a hand to my face. Crossing the fingers on my opposite hand, I told the man that that size would be just fine. He gave me a small look, but nonetheless boxed the ring.

        ⌘⌘⌘⌘⌘

The day...

"Babe! Conner and Kelly are here; we need to go!" Elle called down the hall.

"Just a second!" I patted my jacket's pocket and felt the boxes outline. It's not going to up and run away, Scott. Nodding to myself, I shot one last look in the mirror, shut the lights, and began trudging down the hall.

Upon hearing my footsteps (or, step and drag) Elle spun around to smile at me. She was, as usual, wearing my practice jersey. I'd worn my team's jersey, as did Conner and Kelly. I smiled at them. "Ready?" They all nodded; Conner yanked the door open and dashed down the hall screaming, "GO LEAAAAAAAAFS!" Kelly rolled her eyes: this happened before every game. Elle and I walked a little slower, still unsteady on my crutch.