II

Several students stood on top of a cliff above the Emerald Forest, and (Y/N) was one of them. He looked around, seeing the others participating.

"For years, you have trained to become warriors, and today, we will evaluate your abilities in the Emerald Forest," Ozpin said.

"Now, I'm sure many of you have heard rumors about the assignment of 'teams.' Allow us to put an end to that confusion. Today, you'll be assigned your teammates." added the professor accompanying Ozpin.

"These teammates will be with you for the rest of your time here at Beacon. So it is in your best interest to be paired with someone with whom you can work well." Ozpin took a sip from his cocoa.

"With that said, the first person you make eye contact with after landing will be your partner for the next four years."

Some of the others had mixed reactions to this.

"After you've partnered up, make your way to the northern end of the forest. You will meet opposition along the way. Do not hesitate to destroy everything in your path, or you will die."

"You will be monitored and graded through the duration of your initiation, but our instructors will not intervene. You will find an abandoned temple at the end of the path containing several relics.

"Each pair must choose one and return to the top of the cliff. We will regard that item, as well as your standing, and grade you appropriately. Are there any questions?"

"Yeah, um, sir?" a blonde boy raised his hand.

"Good! Now, take your positions!"

Every student struck a pose. (Y/N) took deep breaths before preparing for the launch.

"Uh, sir? I've got, um, a question." the blonde boy missed one student getting launched with others following. "So, this landing... strategy thing... Uh, wh-what is it? You're, like, dropping us off or something?"

"No. You will be falling." Ozpin answered.

"Oh, uh, I see... So, like, did you hand out parachutes for us?"

"No. You will be using your own 'landing strategy.'"

"Uh-huh, yeah... So, what exactly is a landing strategy—"

The blonde screamed as he gets launched along with the other students. Ozpin looks over to (Y/N), who stood ready. He took a sip of his cocoa, and the tile under (Y/N) launched him.

"I wonder how he'll do here," Ozpin told himself.

═ ═ ═ ═ ═

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH—" (Y/N) screamed as he soared above the forest.

He guarded his head with his arms and crashed through several trees before sliding on the ground. He groaned in pain as he looked at his scratched and bleeding arms.

"I forgot I don't have that force field thing to help me," he mumbled.

He stood up, trying to ignore the pain, and started walking to the abandoned temple Ozpin mentioned. His walk was interrupted by a few Grimm, but he slashed through them with his greatsword, albeit a bit sluggish from his inexperience with swords.

The battles with the Grimm that blocked his way tore bits of his clothing. On the way, he met up with two girls who appeared to be partners.

"You okay there, bud?" the blonde one asked.

"It's Yang and Blake..." (Y/N) raised his hand. "Yep. I'm fine."

"Your arms are bleeding a bit." Yang pointed.