[2.9]

Chapter Forty-One - Volterra

*Genevieve*

Sitting back on the plane, I closed my eyes and tried to relax in the hard uncomfortable airplane seats. Beside me, Alice quickly settled into her seat, handing me a pair of fashionable sunglasses before putting her own on and leaning back in her seat. Bella on the other hand, tapped her fingers nervously against the handle of the chair, her leg bouncing as she looked around the cabin of the plane. Her frantic appearance and behavior made those around us uncomfortable and worried for the girl.

After a few more painstakingly long minutes, the cabin's door had closed and we were beginning to taxi on the runway. The flight attendants began their safety demonstration while Bella just nervously bit her fingernails.

"Calm down," I hiss to the girl, pulling my sunglasses down to look at her, "you're making the entire cabin nervous with your never-ending fidgeting!"

She muttered a quiet 'sorry' before trying to settle in her seat. Leaning back against the hard seat, she closed her eyes as she tried to give off a calm demeanor. Even with her attempt at looking calm and collected, her hands gripping her jacket so hard that her knuckles were beginning to turn white, making me roll my eyes and scoff. 

After a few more minutes had passed, we had successfully taken off from the runway and we were on our way to Volterra. After a few more minutes of relatively quiet peace, Bella went right back to anxiously tapping away on her armrest, causing me to snap my eyes open and lean over, grabbing her wrist and lifting it up and away from the chair.

"Stop. It." I hiss to her again, scowling at her before dropping her hand.

"Sorry," she says sheepishly, holding her hands together and resting them on her lap. After a few minutes of blissful silence, her foot begins to bounce up and down a few seconds later. "Aren't you worried? Your brother is contemplating death, and you seem awfully calm..."

"Eh. He's more like my annoying and overly emotional step-brother." I pause, thinking the question over in my head. " Besides, if Alice isn't worried, then I don't see a need to be worried."

She nodded her head and began to mumble the mantra to herself. Trying to soothe her fears about Edward's possible death. When that didn't work, she quickly went back to tapping her fingers on the armrest. Making me let out a small groan and fall back against my chair.

______________________

"Is everything okay here?" One of the flight attendants asked, leaning over into our row and offering Bella a calming smile.

"Oh yes," I say, offering her a charming smile as I look over at her. "My sister's girlfriend just has a terrible fear of flying... I tried to convince her that we could travel another way, but she insisted that she was going to be there for her girlfriend's graduation..."

The flight attendant just blinked at me for a moment before nodding her head, fully believing my excuse. "Ah! Well... I'm sure that your girlfriend will appreciate the effort that you put into seeing her."

Bella just lets out a weak chuckle, making sure to send me a harsh glare once the flight attendant leaves. "Girlfriend? Fear of flying? Really?"

I shrug and lean back into my chair. "What did you want me to say? At least now she's telling all of her flight attendant friends that you're just terrified of flying, which they will then tell the air marshall... so you won't get potentially arrested for acting suspiciously on a plane. So you're welcome... plus I get a little laugh at your expense... which I wholeheartedly deserve after being dragged here by Alice for you."