16 ㅡ RECRUIT

E. THOMPSON

Mrs Weasley picks them up from King's Cross, attacking Elizabeth with a tight hug and a "Oh, Elizabeth, dear, I'm so glad you're alright!" while the twins, Ron and Ginny look rather offended that they're greeted second. The redheaded woman in the cable knit jumper cries in car on the way to the burrow and Ron rests a gentle hand on her arm while he promises with a slightly gormless face that they are fine, Mum, really and Elizabeth watches with a cloudy gaze from where she's squashed in among George, Fred and Ginny on the backseat. George's eyes are watching her the entire way.

Mr Weasley greets them all at the door, a grin on his face most likely to reassure them after the events of the last twenty four hours. Elizabeth's the last one in. She looks up at him with tired eyes, "Have you-"

"She's alright, dear." He squeezes both of her shoulders, nodding once, "I promise."

Molly makes some form of potato-based pie for dinner; it's lovely and George watches Elizabeth with a small smile as she eats it because he knows this is the first thing she's eaten all day. Ron is teasing Ginny about dancing with Neville at the Yule Ball and Mrs Weasley squeals when she sees George and Elizabeth holding hands under the table because she 'didn't fully believe him when he told her'. Turns out, George had gone back to his dorm after the dance and wrote to his mother straight away, just as she had. For a short while, she's able to block out the image of Cedric's body that has been etched into her brain ever since last night.

Elizabeth offers to wash up after they finish eating - she feels it's only right when they've been so nice to take her mind off things. Mrs Weasley is mortified that she's even offered and Elizabeth's pretty sure she's about to be beaten until George convinces her to let the two of them do it together. His mother looks at him, wide-eyed. Elizabeth's guessing George has never washed a dish in his life.

He's watching her as he passes her the wet, sudsy plates, eyes flicking between her drying them off and the next one he's scrubbing. She raises a brow at him. He gives her a small smile, "How you doing?"

Elizabeth nods, "Better."

George nods, head dropping as he returns his attention to the sink. Elizabeth puts the dishcloth down on the side. She touches his elbow gently, "What is it?"

His lips curl up slightly but the sadness is evident in his face, "I miss Diggory already." Elizabeth swallows, nods. "And, uh," he stops to clear his throat, "I'm a little scared. Don't- don't tell Mum - or Freddie - they'll worry."

"Hey, it's alright," she says quietly, hands coming to both of his upper arms now and gently pulling him away from the sink, "I am too."

He shakes his head, "I just-"

"Yeah." She rubs his arms, "But, for now, I think we just need to hang in there. We- we'll work it out."

Smiling, George brings his hands up to cup her cheeks. "You're good at that, y'know? Convincing me we'll be fine."

"George."

"Yes?"

"Your hands are wet."

He grins, doesn't move them, "Sorry."

Elizabeth smiles, standing on her tiptoes to press a small kiss to the tip of his nose. George releases her afterward to dry off his hands.

"Hey, you two." They both turn. Arthur is standing just inside the kitchen. He jerks his head backwards, motioning with his hands for the two of them to follow him. The three walk out the front door.