DELETING THE BOOK

First things first, to read this book on Inkitt, you'll have to do 3 EASY steps.
1. Click the link on my profile.
2. Download the Inkitt app (it's ad free!)
3. Follow my profile and add my books to your reading list!

NOW...BACK TO MY LIFE STORY...

Hi everyone! :)

I am Pamela Motshwane but most of you guys know me as the author of this here book, a book I wrote five years ago at the age of sixteen.

I have read the comments over the years and they are getting more and more brutal each day (yuh ha.a guys). I thought it would be fair if I just gave a little background information about me! :)

 I thought it would be fair if I just gave a little background information about me! :)

I relate a lot to Jae. I have a lisp. I have big hair (at the time when I was writing, I was transitioning and had a poofy mess of hair) that I had to fight for. My mom used to relax my hair by force and that took a lot away from my identity. I then went to an all-white high school where Afrikaans (a South African language) is spoken predominately and I had to assimilate quickly. I learned how to speak that colonizer's language lmao and lost majority of my "blackness", if I can say that. I hung around the white kids a lot and every day in class, the notion that "white is superior" was ALWAYS drilled into my head. I found myself underestimating myself, feeling insecure, and looking up at my white peers (aka like my girl Jae).

Then I moved to a school that was predominately black and I got my first culture shock. I saw so many textures of hair and my best friend rocked a thick TWA (teeny weeny afro) with pride. I loved the way she walked, I loved the way she carried herself and as her hair grew thicker and bigger, shit I marveled in her beauty (I still do to this day!). I never knew I could have it in me. The natural confidence. The ability to bask in my blackness with no shame. As far as I knew back then, I had to become "white" in order to be liked.

Back in 2015, natural hair representation L A C K E D. The only curl patterns that were shown were the 3As, 3Bs, 3Cs, 2Bs and I'm sure you could imagine my expression when I found that I had thick 4B/4C growing underneath my processed relaxed hair. I didn't know how to take care of it and I went to a stylist I trusted, who told me that by putting in the relaxer for 4 minutes MAXIMUM, my hair would be easier to manipulate and braid.

I sort of passed away, ascended into the heavens, damn near dissipated into ash and dust when my hair came out bone straight after washing the relaxer out. I was back to square one and started my natural hair journey once again. I mostly did DIYs and followed online instructions as to how I'd deep-condition, LOC etc. (We didn't explore Jae's hair drama at ALL).

My mother and I don't have the best of relationships and I think why I didn't focus much attention on the shaky relationship Jae and her mother shared was because my mother and I are both passive-aggressive. We don't address shit on sight and it is swept underneath the carpet until the bulge gets too big and one of us stubs their toes in it and words start flying. I respect my mother immensely and I may have been dramatic when it came to Jae and her mother's relationship.