x | carte blanche

ten

"hey mack wanna hang out later?" the same vibrant voice belonged to the brunette who now sat down next to mackenzie. the girl stabbed her salad with the fork with so much force ashton gave her a frightened look. "just because we've been friends for two days doesn't mean we're besties"
the boy glanced at her and couldn't think of a possible reason why she was so terrifyingly murdering the salad. mackenzie dropped her threatening expression and chuckled, "just joking", then she took one look at ashton's shocked face and soon she started laughing her head off. the boy let out a relieved sigh, putting his hand on his heart, and pretended to be deeply hurt.
"i seriously thought you were going to murder me", a small smile tugging his lips
"don't worry, if i had to kill anyone i'd be miss mason" mackenzie finally stopped laughing, it had been a while since she'd laughed so genuinely.
ashton sent her a slightly confused look, "the history teacher?", he pulled out his lunch without breaking eye contact with the girl, who nodded. "why?"
mackenzie thought whether she should tell him, but they had known each other only for a couple days and she couldn't give him her trust just like that. instead she set her eyes on the salad she so mercilessly murdered and shrugged, "she's just annoying"
ashton, a not very observant person, didn't notice the sudden but very noticeable change of mood and was pushing away the urge of asking her the truth, telling himself it was a good reason for wanting to kill a teacher. she was probably joking. he hoped, dang it now he was scared of her.
mackenzie pushed her salad away and turned to ashton who was now taking enormous bites of his sandwich. the corners of her lips curved a little and she tried to enlighten the mood, "so, hang out later?"

the letter
to mackenzie ziegler, from johnny orlando
hi love
how are you?
two days ago my dad went out, he said he wanted to take a walk but he hasn't come back yet. it's happened before, after a fight with mom he would usually pack a few things and leave for a couple days. it's the first time he's done this since we moved, and the situation is not getting better. two days ago, when i sent the last letter, i walked in the kitchen and dad was on the phone, mom was out and lauren at school. i was supposed to have one last period but the teacher didn't show up so we left early. anyway i walked in and asked "dad, who you're talking to?", i swear he nearly jumped to the ceiling, i guess i scared the shit out of him.

"oh my god" melissa muttered under her breath, "if that kid finds out i'm fucked up" she tightened her grip on the paper as she continued reading the letter that was not for her.

he hung up and was stuttering about work and stuff and it looked a bit suspicious but i didn't question it. he asked tons of questions about me being home so early. then he distracted me and changed the subject, mom came back while he was interrogating me about my new friends and bam, they started arguing and kicked me out of the kitchen. i was like what the fuck.

"i swear dale, if he finds out.." melissa quickly cut off herself before finishing the sentence.

i swear this family is falling more apart everyday, i don't know what to do. everything's so frustrating, stressing and getting worse and worse
i'm sorry, it's all for today. lauren's crying and i feel like she needs me.
love you,
see you soon
john

"stop beating me!" mackenzie punched ashton painfully on the shoulder while trying not to kill herself in the game.
"you are cheating ziegler" ashton didn't even blink, in a matter of seconds mackenzie died and ashton was triumphantly jumping on his bed, waving his fist in the air and shouting "i won! i won bitch"
"god you're so annoying. it's the fifth time you've beaten me. asshole" the girl proceeded to roll her eyes at his childish behavior and jumped off the bed.
"yeah i know. it just proves my point" ashton sang jumping off the bed and grabbing the remote. "what point" retorted mackenzie, a small smile tugging her lips. the boy didn't reply, instead he waltzed towards the girl and swung his arm around her, pulling her close to him. "want some ice cream? we've been playing for three hours"
"you've been beating me for three hours straight and you still tell me i'm cheating" said mackenzie, walking along. "and yes i want ice cream"
the duo jumped down the stairs and ashton nearly fell, but he didn't, much to mackenzie's disappointment, he risked breaking his neck but the girl just laughed at him.
"are your parents never home?" she asked sitting on a chair in the illuminated and sophisticated kitchen, all of the counters and drawers were white and neat, spotless. ashton pulled out the ice cream, "hardly ever" he replied getting two bowls and spoons. "which one do you prefer?" he asked pointing at the chocolate and vanilla ice creams. the girl shook her head, "do you have chocolate mint?"
the boy looked once more into the freezer, closed it and shook his head. "doesn't matter, i'll take the chocolate" she smiled.
she was finally warming up to him.