|22| 𝙹𝚎𝚊𝚕𝚘𝚞𝚜𝚢 𝙹𝚎𝚊𝚕𝚘𝚞𝚜𝚢 ✔︎

Start from the beginning

" About five years ago. That's when my shitty ex-husband left me this shitty motel that I do not know how to run." She joked.

" Sounds shitty" Dick smiled. Harper rolled her eyes before leaning on the counter. " Hi, so I'm absolutely famished from our long drive, do you know where the closest place to eat is?" Harper butted in, sending the woman a fake smile.

Dick raised an eyebrow at the brunette before smirking and looking down, obviously trying to hide his amusement at the clear jealousy radiating off of the girl. But why was she jealous? He thought.

The woman glanced at the brunette, her eyes filled with annoyance and disgust as she scanned Harper up and down. " There's a liquor store across the street that has snacks. Other than that, there's a pizza place nearby. Edder's." She gritted out.

" Okay, appreciate it." Harper smiled before grabbing Dick's arm, dragging him towards the exit.

" The ice machine out back is a little testy, there's a little trick to it. If you want to get it working, I'm always up late. My room-" she called after the two before Harper spun around shooting a glare at the woman, completely aware at what she was implying.

" I'll make sure to knock" Harper said before the two left, leaving a dumbfounded reception lady , a laughing Dick and a pissed off Harper.

Harper sat in the room she was given. The almost ancient interior of the room alongside the disgusting mixture of smells seemed to bring almost no comfort to the girl.

Harper sat crossed legged on the bed, her feet tucked in under the blanket. Her laptop rested in front of her as her eyes darted across the screen.

Now that she had a few minutes alone Harper was finally trying to find answers to her brother's sudden appearance. Dinah had sent her footage of him since the time she had phoned. Harper was scrolling through phone bills, credit card debts and video tapes on his whereabouts.

She clicked on a file reading 'Apartment'. Her eyebrows furrowed thinking back to Dinah's words. He went looking for you. Harper replayed her words like a broken record, each time she felt her hands tremble a little more. He isn't the same boy you knew.

She watched as the screen transformed into her living room. She saw the door being kicked down before a figure made his way into frame. She couldn't hear what he was saying but she could see him yelling. He suddenly turned facing the camera and that's when Harper got a good look at him.

She paused the video, her heart stopping as she analysed his features. He was tall and muscular, you could tell he had been working out based off his athletic build. His dark raven curls sat on is head and tattoos lined up his arm stopping at his neck. His shoulders were tense and you could see the rage and darkness behind his once warm hazel eyes. His mouth was moving, screaming as he started destroying the room. He grew frustrated, letting out a scream before demolishing every ounce of her apartment.

This wasn't her brother, this wasn't her Ryder. Dinah was right, he had changed. He wasn't the lovable boy who played dolls with her, who helped her learn to ride a bike, who held her when she cried, who stood up to her bullies. He wasn't the same boy she loved with all of her heart.

Her eyes grew blurry as she continued to watch the chaos that her brother was causing. A knock brought her attention from the laptop to the door. She quickly wiped her tears that had escaped before shutting her laptop just as the door opened.

" Hey, meeting in my room now" Dick's voice rang out as he walked in. " I'm coming. Don't eat all the pizza without me." She warned.

" Wouldn't dream of it." He replied before walking out the door. " Just hurry up."

Harper let out a sigh, her eyes flickering to the laptop before she left rhe room,  meeting up with the rest of the group to discuss their next move.