Chapter Fourteen: Monster Hunting

We headed over to the Military surplus story, getting spikes and a mallot, a gas can, everything that we would need to test our hypothesis of the Demogorgan being drawn to blood.

Nancy stood beside me with a basket, grabbing spikes as I surveyed the mallots. Jonathan came up behind us and we all paused, looking at the shelf on the end of the aisle that contained bear traps. I nodded.

"Oh, yeah. Definitely want that." Jonathan grabbed it and I took the gas can from him and we went up to the front of thr store, putting everything on the counter. The owner eyed us warily as Nancy began emptying out the basket.

"And we'll have four boxes of the .38s." Jonathan told him. He walked over, grabbing them and putting them on the counter.

"What are you kids doin' with all this?" He finally asked.

"Um..." Jonathan and Nancy both looked at me, unsure of what to do. I looked at the man, and with the most serious face I could muster, replied:

"Monster hunting."

"Huh." He nodded, going to ring us up. I looked at them, my eyes wide in surprise that that actually worked.

"Monster hunting?" Jonathan asked, amused as we took our stuff out to his car. I shrugged.

"Sometimes the best excuse isn't an excuse at all." I said, laughing as I put the stuff in the trunk.

"You know, last week I was shopping for a new top I thought Steve might like." Nancy said suddenly. I nodded.

"It took the three of us all weekend...to find a shirt." I told Jonathan.

"It seemed like life or death, you know? And...and now..."

"You're shopping for bear traps with Jonathan Byers." He finished for her, closing the trunk.

"Yeah."

"What's the weirdest part? Me or the bear trap?"

"You. Its definitely you." She said, smiling at him. He chuckled and I did too, shaking my head at the pair who, from where I was standing, had way too much chemistry to just be friends. Now that I think about it, maybe Steve should be worried. Not that they would ever do anything while she was dating him, but they definitely like each other.

Suddenly a car honked and a bunch of guys from Nancy and Jonathan's class slowed beside us.

"Hey Nance, can't wait to see your movie." One boy said as they sped away. I furrowed my eyebrows.

"What the heck was that?" Jonathan asked.

"I don't know..." Nancy said. My eyes widened in realization as I recalled Steve from last night.

"Oh no." 

"What?" Jonathan questioned. "What?" Nancy and I shared a look before taking off down the sidewalk towards 'The Hawk', which was Hawkins' local movie theater.  "Hey! Where are you guys going? Nancy, wait!" 

Nancy took off running, and Jonathan and I did too, trailing after her until we were standing in front of the theater, where the marquee read 'All The Right Moves' with the words 'Starring Nancy The SLUT Wheeler' in red spray paint.

"Geez."

"I'll kill him," I said, looking at Nancy, "I'll straight up kill him."

We both looked up as we picked up on the sound of spray paint and walked around to the alley to find Tommy, Carol, Steve, and Nicole still using the spray paint they'd used on the sign to write on the wall. Nancy stalked towards them, or Steve specifically, and I trailed along behind her.