Morton's Fork

Tripp's hands grabbed the steering wheel of his green 1956 Jaguar roadster as a drowning man held onto his lifejacket. His eyes hidden behind a pair of black shades, rendered useless by the lack of sunlight to hide from, he occasionally turned to the passengers side to check on his co-pilot, who had mostly kept to himself during the drive.

When Teddy told Tripp he wanted to visit Jonathan Gossett's mother, he immediately knew it was a bad idea. He tried to dissuade his friend, but the stubborn boy had made up his mind. Defeated and knowing Teddy wouldn't change his decision, Tripp then offered his services to drive him to and from the Gossett's estate. It took a couple of tries, but Teddy finally relented and agreed to Tripp's offer.

Ever since the fight that happened a couple days ago, when Teddy revealed his affair with the Winslow kid, Tripp had noticed a change in his friend's demeanour. Sure, the Mexican boy remained as arrogant and conceited as ever, but something in his eyes changed. They stopped paying attention to what happened in front of him and started looking beyond. As if he was constantly in search of something that kept eluding him, Teddy became the sole runner in a race where only he competed.

Left behind, unable to dully understand his friend, Tripp figured all he could do was try to be there for him. The day would come when Teddy finally stopped running, whether because he caught up to what he chased, or because his knees simply gave up. Whatever the reason, Tripp knew when that day came, Teddy would need him more than ever.

Turning once more to check on him, Tripp stumbled with Teddy's eyes. The boy's brown gaze was fixed on him, and he had the feeling it had been for quite some time. Clearing his throat, because he didn't really know what else to do, Tripp decided it was time to break the silence.

"So," he said, taking his phone out of his pocket and handing it to Teddy, "how about some music? There's no road trip without some music."

"Okay," Teddy said, taking his phone and unlocking it without even asking for the code.

"How did you..."

"Your birthday," Teddy answered simply, his eyes now fixed on the phone screen. "You're not as complicated as you like to think, Lancaster."

Tripp opened his mouth, feigning offense. "And I suppose yours is some deeply meaningful combination?"

Teddy grinned and nodded. "It's a random set of six numbers. You'll never guess it. It's mathematically impossible."

"Oh, come on," Tripp let out, rolling his eyes. "Must you always be so damn extra?"

"You're just jealous," Teddy replied, chest sticking out. "You're lime green jello and you can't even admit it to yourself."

The familiar sound of Stolen Dance came out of the speakers and Tripp felt invigorated by the song. To his surprise, Teddy too seemed to share the same reaction. For the first time in days, the line between his eyebrows disappeared. His stiff features loosened, his clenched jaw relaxed. And, surprisingly, a genuine smile drew on his lips, lightning his entire face, transforming it.

"That's more like it," Tripp celebrated, enjoying his friend's happier demeanour. "I missed seeing you smile, Teddy Bear."

Teddy's nose wrinkled, a result of the cruel laugh that escaped his mouth. "Teddy Bear?"

"What? You don't like it? I reckon it suits you."

"I'm not fat," Teddy countered, eyebrows furrowing.

"But you are cuddly," Tripp joked, his finger poking Teddy's chest.

His friend quivered and his smile somewhat dimmed, leaving Tripp to wonder how it was possible for someone to have so many mood swings in so little time.