Volume 1 Chapter 5: Players and Pieces

Start from the beginning

"That is an idea I can get behind." Smart Jaune.

Ruby picked up the other Knight piece while Jaune took the other Rook piece. The last piece there for me to grab was the Queen piece. So, I grabbed it and followed the group.

"Time we left." Ren simply put, and the rest of us were in agreement.

"Right. Let's go."

We all followed Ruby, but Blake and Yang faltered behind a bit.

"What is it?"

"Nothing..."

We continued to make our way back to the cliffs, making it to some old ruins. We all took cover behind some of the pillars. The Nevermore screeched loudly as the Deathstalker was catching up.

"Well that's great!"

"Oh, man, run!"

"Nora, distract it!"

The Nevermore shot down more feathers, which we all dodged. Nora fired her grenade launcher at it, letting us continue without it in our way. The Deathstalker got close, but Ren and Blake blocked it's attacks as Weiss got her out of there. As we made our way onto the bridge, Pyrrha covered us as we crossed it. We made it about half way across it before the Nevermore destroyed it, splitting us off. Jaune, Ruby, Weiss, Yang and Nora on the side past the bridge, while Ren, Blake, Pyrrha and I were on the other side. Blake got hit back, as we were trying to fire everything we had. My blade was useless against it's hard carapace, and my flames did little.

Suddenly, Nora and Jaune jumped across the gap, letting Nora literally get the jump on the Deathstalker, smashing her hammer into its top. However, when she blocked an attack, she slid back, knocking Blake and me off the bridge. Blake used her weapon as a grappling hook, as I used my agility and semblance to safely get to the other side. However, Blake was able to get a few slashes onto the Nevermore, as she swung atop it, and made her way down.

"It's tougher than it looks!" Blake stated, taking a few deep breaths.

"Then let's hit it with everything we've got!" Yang exclaimed, reloading her gauntlets.

We all readied our ranged attacks. All I had was fire and magic, and I didn't want to risk the magic again, so spears of fire it is. We fired the strongest attacks we could, only weakening it. The Nevermore flew through the structure we were on, destroying it. We jumped through the falling rubble, making our way onto a higher structure.

"None of this is working!"

"I have a plan! Cover me!"

We all covered Ruby as she went to continue with her plan. After Ruby told us of her plan, I was able to see Jaune and his friends take down the Deathstalker. Now, the Nevermore was all that was left. It targeted Yang, but she jumped in it's mouth, holding it open and blasting her shotguns into its mouth.

"I! Hope! You're! Hung-ry!"

With that, she was able to stun it, making it crashing into the side of the cliff. It gave another screech as Weiss pinned it's tail to the rocks just under it as I used my semblance, creating a circular wall of fire to make sure it stays in place. Blake used her sword's ribbon to create a slingshot for Ruby, having Yang hold the other end. Weiss used her own gravity dust to pull Ruby back and put up a speed glyph for my arrows to shoot through, to weaken the Nevermore even more.

"Of course you would come up with this idea."

"Think you can make the shot?"

"Hmph. Can I?"

"Can-"

"Of course I can!"

In a split second, Ruby blasted through the air, as I used my semblance to target Nevermore's wings, disabling its ability to fly. Ruby flew through the air, landing on the cliff face and had the Nevermore's neck under her scythe. Weiss used more glyphs to give Ruby a path upwards. She used the path to run up, gaining speed by using her rifle's bullets to add momentum. She let out a warcry as she led it up. When she finally got to the end, she had enough momentum to make her way up and decapitate it, landing on the cliff itself. 

"Well. That was a thing."

We made our way up the cliff, giving the pieces to Ozpin and making our way back to the school.

"Russel Thrush. Cardin Wichester. Dove Bronzewing. Sky Lark. The four of you retrieved the black bishop pieces.From this day forwards, you will work together as... Team CRDL. Lead by... Cardin Winchester."

They left the stage, then the next group of four walked up.

"Jaune Arc. Lie Ren. Pyrrha Nikos. Nora Valkyrie. The four of you retrieved the white rook pieces. From this day forward, you will work together as... Team JNPR. Lead by... Jaune Arc."

They were the second to last team. Ruby was next to go up, with her friends.

I wonder who'll be the leader?

"And finally, Blake Belladonna. Ruby Rose. Weiss Schnee. And Yang Xiao Long. The four of you retrieved the white knight pieces. From this day forward, you will work together as... Team RWBY. Lead by... Ruby Rose. Now then, may Y/N L/N come up to the stage."

I walked up to the stage as he requested, passing by the newly formed Team RWBY, giving her a quick hug. Once I was in front of Ozpin, he started to begin his spiel for me.

"Y/N L/N. You have retrieved the white queen piece by yourself. You shall have the ability to choose a team to be a fifth member of. What is your choice?"

"I want to be a part of... Team RWBY." It was the only team that had the most people I knew in it after all. 

"Excellent. Y/N L/N, you are officially the fifth team member of Team RWBY. Looks like things are shaping up to be an... interesting year."

He smirked and looked at us rather mischievously, but I shall not question the all mighty Ozcreep.

I went over to the team, and was instantly hugged by Yang and Ruby. And Blake applauded me. Weiss looked... like Weiss.

"I can't believe you're going to be part of our team! Oh my gosh, this is going to be so exciting!"

I giggled as we were given our room, which was directly across from JNPR's room. Five nice beds, a decently sized window and... actually, there were only four beds.

"Did he not expect you to be a fifth member of a team?" Blake asked a really good question.

"Probably not."

"Great... Guess I'll sleep on the floor then."

"Where you belong..."

"Want to say that to my face Ice Princess!? Ugh... Ruby, I'm sleeping with you."

"Wawawawa-What!? I-I-I-"