Chapter 3: The Explaination

Serenity's P.O.V.

I ran towards the attic and cursed when the door wouldn't budge. I told her to stay away from here. "Damn!" I screamed and banged my fists on the oak door.

"What's going on?" I heard Hunter ask behind me.

"I need to get the door open." I said mostly to myself. Hunter pushed me aside and with three kicks the door splinter opened. We both ran up the steps and there the man I once knew stood, hovering over Maggie. Hunter stood still just staring into the glazed over eyes of my father.

"What in hell?" Hunter breathed and my father sneered at us.

"Close, Hunter, very close." Gone was my father's warm smile and kind eyes. They were replaced with a sneer and yellow teeth. There's a saying that the eyes are the windows to the soul. If that were true then the man in front of me had no soul. He still had Maggie in his dead, grey hands and my anger rose above the guilt I felt.

"Aer autem, spiritus, et insuffla hoc veni ut auferas malum (the air we breath, come and blow this evil away)." My irises glowed white as a gust of wind came and collided into my father. Maggie was released and ran over to Hunter and I. "Run," I commanded and we all finally got into the hallway. I slammed the door shut and muttered a spell to keep the spirit inside.

"What the hell, Ren?" I turned around and Maggie clung to Hunter's leg.

"I really wish I could explain but I can't right now, Hunter." I shook my head and went downstairs to grab my phone. I dialed Nick's number and sighed when I got his voicemail. "Hey, Nick, I need you here. Hurry up, I can't handle this alone. Bye," I hung up and I felt something tighten around my legs. I looked down and Maggie clung to me. I smoothed her hair and I felt Hunter's eyes on me.

"Explain, Serenity." His tone was almost scary, you know if I didn't actually know him. He kind of sounded like a pissed off boyfriend.

"You won't believe me, so just forget about it." I said struggling to turn around with a child attached to my leg.

"I just saw your father, which looks good considering there was a bullet whole in his head!" He yelled and Maggie hid her face from his angry eyes.

"Yes, he did. Go ahead explain what happen, Serenity." The feminine voice that I knew anywhere said from behind Hunter. Fate walked past him and knelt down to Maggie. She gently took Maggie's wrist, which was bruised due to my father, and healed it. Maggie giggled and Fate stood up next to me.

"What are you doing here?" I said not knowing if my friend being here was a good idea.

"There is evil in this town, I come to help you. All I want to do is help, Serenity Paige." She said her voice staying the same. Her voice always reminded me of the way angels should sound, you know if I ever talked to one. Fate turned and shook Hunter's hand. "So, you are the one that is going to save Serenity?"

"Yea, see I told you, Mama Serenity!" Maggie smiled and her eyes lit up in delight.

"I can't save her if she won't tell me what's going on." Hunter said his anger dissipating slightly.

"I don't need saving." I gritted out angrily, I hate feeling helpless. My irises glowed red and I felt heat course through my veins. Fate stepped forward and flicked me in the head. That snapped me out of whatever was going on inside me and I glared at her.

"Losing control won't help you, Serenity Paige." She stated before picking Maggie up and disappearing into the living room, leaving me and Hunter alone.

"I promise you won't believe me." I shook my head before slumping into a chair defeated. Hunter sat across from me and heat spread through my body, and it wasn't me losing control of my powers.

"Try me," he challenged and so, I did. I told him everything and for some reason it felt like I had a weight lifted off of me but another was put in place. If he couldn't handle it, I'd lose someone I care about again. I wasn't sure if my heart could handle that but it was worth a shot, right?