Chapter 7: Following the Rules

Hunter's P.O.V.

I laid in bed and stared at the ceiling feeling absolutely miserable. I needed to help Serenity and somehow convince her to be with me. My phone buzzed and I answered it having nothing else to do. "Hunter," I heard Maggie's tiny voice say. I became instantly alert as I heard a violent scream in the background, Serenity.

"I'm on my way, Mags." I said slipping on clothes and heading towards my truck.

"I'm scared, Hunter." She sobbed and my heart broke.

"I know, Mags, I'm almost there." I pulled into Ren's driveway and saw Maggie standing in the doorway. I jumped out of the truck and ushered her inside. Shutting the door behind me, I made my way upstairs and grabbed Ren's shoulders jerking her out of her nightmare. Her breathing was erratic and she closed her eyes trying to calm herself.

"Damn," she said as she opened her eyes. We separated slightly, Ren's hand held her right rib as blood dripped from an open wound. "This never happened before." She said taking her hand off to look at it.

"No," I said placing her hand back over the cut. "You need to keep pressure on it. Where's the first aid kit?" I asked her as she sighed.

"Kitchen, third cabinet on the top." She sighed, I left to get the first- aid kit, and quickly returned to Ren sliding off her tank top so I could get a better look at her wound. It was a long cut that went deeper then expected, I got the gauze out and pressed it to the wound making Ren hiss.

"I'm sorry," I whispered and she gave a strained smile.

"It's not your fault." I stitched her up and the sun shown through the curtains. "I need to get ready for the wedding rehearsal." She stated as we both stood.

"Yea, me too." I turned to leave when she grabbed my wrist.

"Thank you, Hunter." She whispered and I smiled at her.

"Anytime, Serenity."

7 P.M... Serenity's P.O.V.

People talked and ate small appetizers while I juggled Liv and Maggie. I had changed out of my colorful tank top and black skirt into a white dress. My hair was curled and I paired my dress with cream, lace flats. I finished calming Liv down then looked around the room and began to panic, where's Maggie? I walked throughout the ball room and sighed in relief when I saw her sitting in front of Hunter talking his ear off. He made my mouth water in his black button down shirt and dark jeans that made him look eatable. I smiled walking over to them and sat Maggie on my lap. "What are you doing?" I asked tickling her sides.

"I was asking questions..." she stated in between fits of giggles.

"What type of questions?" I asked as it stopped tickling her and kissed her forehead. She didn't answer as she jumped off my lap and ran to other kids her age. "Well, this could've been worse. I swear if your sister has another mental breakdown I'm throwing in the towel." I said slumping into the seat I was in, Hunter chuckled at my statement and shook his head.

"You're terrific, as anyone told you that?" He asked leaning towards me, his masculine scent wrapping around me and tying itself with a dark, sinful bow.

"Don't Hunter..." I warned liking the way he smelled and looked, his words might break my resolve and I couldn't afford that. He leaned back, hurt flashed in his eyes but disappeared instantly.

"I don't understand why you won't at least let me convince you that this could be good." He reasoned running a hand through his hair. I tried to form words but I couldn't, it felt like someone had plunged a knife in my heart and twisted it. I realized then that I was completely and utterly in love with Hunter Wilde, no distance would change that.

"I can't get hurt again." I faintly whispered, my words barely audio able to my own ears.

"I'm not gonna hurt you, Ren." He sympathized but I shook my head and stood.

"Yes you will, every man in my life hurts me. Adam and I haven't spoken in months, Nick is an over-protective ass hole, and my dad... Well you know. I can't risk you hurting me, too, intentionally or not. I'm not strong enough, Hunter, but I want to be friends with you." I said and he stood in front of me, a mixture if emotions in his eyes.

"I don't know if I could handle being your friend when I want to be more than that." Hunter said before waking over to Drake who was holding onto his future wife. I held my breath not knowing what to do or say but I felt my heart begin to burn into ashes.