Chapter Five: Survivors' Guilt

Start from the beginning

The painting was old, it seemed that until recently it was probably treated poorly, but I could still see four people in this painting. It took me a while to realize that it was Aro, Didyme, and their parents. Although, their faces were distorted considering the age of the painting, but I could recognize Aro from a mile away.

"This is the last thing I have from my family, no memories, no picture of their faces in my head, this is it," he said turning away, and sitting on the couch behind him.

"At least it's something to hold on too," I said joining him but still managing to keep my distance.

"I suppose you are right, however, there are times when I wish for one memory of my mother, even if is not so good. When I think of her I know I loved her, I can feel it. Then sadness begins to overtake everything else,"

"Then don't let it. When my mother died I felt the same, and my father told me 'whenever you picture your mother, don't picture what could have been, picture everything she was when she was with us' and it helped me. Hold on to that love you feel, and don't let it disappear," I said watching as he watched me intently with each word I said.

Aro opened his mouth but closed it, before looking back at me with a smile on his face. He closed the gap between us on the couch, and I began to feel my heart thump harder against my chest, something that he could hear as well.

"You give me a feeling that not even my departed wife made me feel," he said moving my hair behind my shoulder, "I'm afraid to ask if you feel it as well,"

I smiled at him as he laid his cold hand on my neck. A quick shiver sent down my back as I quickly shook off the feeling. Aro looked back at me getting the wrong message before removing his hand, and standing to his feet. I quickly went to reach for him, but stopped knowing I was reaching for his hand. His eyes looked back to me as he saw my struggle before shaking his head and turning away.

"I'm sorry but your hand is cold," I whispered as he turned back to me, looking at his hands.

"Lillian, I am trying but if you still feel as if I am forcing-"

"I know your not" I said stopping his sentence before he could continue,"I feel everything you feel,"

He looked back to me and in a flash he was sitting beside me again, "I can feel our bond but I don't know what to think of it, at the moment,"

His eyes looked puzzled as I finished my sentence, but I just couldn't find the right words without ruining this moment. I didn't want our bond to further because I didn't want to be hurt again by a man, I didnt want to lose sight of myself, and I knew he wouldnt understand unless he read me. So what was I supposed to do in this moment?

"I just -- I don't know how to say it," I finished even though I choked on almost every word.

"I am not going to hurt you, Lillian. In any way shape or form, you must know that," he said trying to reach out to me before I stopped him.

I turned my face, rolling my eyes at his words. It was not the first time I heard that, and I knew it was not going to be the last.

__________

Aro's POV

My words seemed to not offer her any kind of comfort, as I could still see her struggle to find any words to tell me. I knew from the beginning that her life was filled with grief but it there was more than just grief, I was unsure what I would feel.

"I do know that, Aro. It's just-" she stopped her sentence looking at me with glimmering eyes.

What was I saying that was causing her so much pain? The way her eyes were staring into mine as if she wanted to tell me something, but she just could not get the right words. No matter how long, I was going to stay here until she was able to confide in me. I had to for her sake.

Lillian huffed like in defeat before she held out her hand. My eyes widened at her sudden gesture, but I was took back. She never wanted to be read, and now, was that just nothing to her anymore.

"My dear, I do not understand," I said still looking at her hand in front of me.

"I will never be able to tell you why I am always scared, sad, so I am making the choice to let you read me,"

I looked back up to her before she rolled her eyes, grabbing my hand into her's. My mind became filled with Lillian's life. I could see everything, feel everything. Her life was filled with so much happiness as a child, I did not understand what kind of pain she had been through to change the way her life was, then I felt it. Her mother's death was first, followed by years of utter destruction in her life. It seemed as the years went on her father was her happiness but she still held this weight. Then suddenly it took an extreme turn when I saw Lillian being assaulted, anger filled my cold corpse as I saw and felt everything she felt. Her hands forced down, her screams, I wanted to let go, but I knew there was more. I continued to watch until the last of it came to the death of her father. All I could see was Lillian waking up in a wrecked car, looking for her father with every ounce of strength she had, and when she found him, she held on until she couldn't anymore. Her life? It was worse than I thought, and now I understood so much.

I let go of her hand and watched as she stared at me waiting for any kind of response.

"That is why you rejected my touch," I said as she nodded slowly, "Why you still cling to your father's memory, you feel to blame for his death,"

Sobs began to escape her mouth before I wrapped my arms around her now being able too. I tried to shush her, but her sobs never lessened. I held her with every ounce of my being, vowing to never let anybody hurt her the way that man did, and to never let anyone touch her without her permission. I could not stop this anger, something had to be done.

"With every ounce of my being, I swear to you that I will never force you to anything like that excuse of a man. I will protect you if it is the last thing I do, and I will honor you with everything, Lillian. No one will ever cause you harm, or sadness again. I will protect you. I understand you,"

I looked down at Lillian feeling her heart begin to settle down. Her hands let my neck as she looked back up at me with her red, puffy eyes. I wanted nothing more for her to want me as I want her, but now, it is her who makes the path now. I will never force anything upon her.

"Do it," she said in a whisper.

I looked down at her but she did not say one more word. Her hand gently reached up putting it to my cold skin, radiating her warm, gentle touch to me. "I do not understand," I finished looking down at her lips as they smiled.

"Kiss me before I change my mind,"

I peered down at her lips, mine turning into a smile, caressing her hair before I slowly bent down placing a quick kiss of her lips. My eyes opened to her chocolate eyes, before I kissed her again, making sure this kiss was longer and passionate.

_____________

I figured it was time for you all to know about Lillian's past with just a little help from Aro. I plan to put more of her life out there with the chapters, but this chapter I loved to write. Lillian and Aro for the win!! I also hope you liked the POV from both of them.

I'll update soon, don't forget to comment and vote!!!