I watched him suck in his breath before bringing back his eyes to me. I saw pain reflected in the depths of his grey eyes and my heart went out to him.

Claudius loved me and l had only brought him pain.

It wasn't fair!

"I love you Jane but l can't bear being your second choice while that bastard takes first place in your heart."

The tears l have been banking came flooding down my face spoiling my make up. I didn't want to lose him!

"I will give up revenge for us," l pleaded with him in a teary voice.

Claudius smiled sadly at me cupping my face in his large hands.

"But we won't be happy. I discovered we are better off as friends. This lover's relationship is toxic to us. We are growing more distant with each passing day. We are always fighting. I don't want to lose you as a friend too."

More tears spilled down my cheeks at his words.

What did l do in my previous life to be loved by someone perfect like Claudius!

He was everything you did want in a boyfriend. Loving ,caring and funny. Too bad l couldn't love him back the way he deserved.

He deserved a woman who wasn't broken. A woman who wasn't bitter and hell bent on getting revenge. Claudius deserved a woman who wasn't ruined like me.

I threw myself into his arms and clutched him tightly sobbing over my lose. I didn't want to let go of him but l knew l had to set him free. It was the least l could do after all the pain and sadness l inflicted on him.

Claudius hugged me back gently stroking my hair and l cried even harder at the feel of his warm embrace.

"We will be okay," he whispered against my hair.

When l eventually stopped crying ,he released me and grinned at me but l could see the smile didn't quite reach his eyes. I knew then it was also painful for him to let go of me.

"I have to get back to work. I have a meeting in two hours," he said consulting his wrist watch.

Another painful reminder of our failed relationship!

I had given him that watch on his last birthday. I forced him a smile.

"It's okay . l will see you later," l answered in a controlled voice .

I kept my approaching tears at bay. I knew he was lying about the meeting thing. Claudius was never good at lying. He only wanted to get rid of me.

With a heavy heart , l turned on my heel to leave but l bumped into someone at the door.

"I am really sorry," l apologised as l bent down to pick up the files scattered on the floor.

I got up to hand back the files. My eyes widened at the person before me. Silvia was glaring at me with murderous eyes.

"Well! well! Who do we have here? After ruining my wedding, you have the guts to show up at my company," she spat out.

I felt a prickle of guilty. I didn't like her but it was true that l had ruined her wedding day. A wedding was every girl's wish at one point of her life.

"I apologise for the unpleasant incident but l had scores to settle with Lucas Moretti," l quietly spoke up.

Silvia stifled an evil laugh.

"And you had to choose my wedding day for that shit!,"  she said in disbelief.

I cast my eyes on the floor feeling embarrassed.

" l have always known that Lucas was a playboy long before we even got engaged. But l didn't care about that because l knew he never cared about all the sluts he had been with. And you are clearly one of them...," her poisonous voice trailed off as she looked me up and down in clear distaste.

"Low class sluts like you , have a tendency to think that you can tame him and make him completely yours but sorry sweetheart. That's impossible! Lucas is only moved by power and money.....," she added bitterly before she was cut off by Claudius's furious voice.

"Silvia! That's my girlfriend you are insulting!," he said in a stern voice as he moved closer to us.

Silvia looked up when he spoke. She clicked her tongue in sympathy.

"You are a good man , Claudius. You don't deserve this shit...."

I didn't wait for more of her poisonous words. I pushed past her and stormed out of the room blinded by tears.

What she said was true. To Ferracco l was nothing but a slut!

                                                ****

By the time l reached the lobby , l had calmed down. I walked out of the elevator with new determination. I wasn't going to allow Ferracco to ruin me anymore. He had declared custody battle and l was now more determined to put him behind bars where he belong. That way he would stop being a threat to my daughter.

I drew to a halt , my mouth gaped open in astonishment. Ferracco was in the lobby talking to the receptionist with that drool worthy smile plastered on his face.

What is he doing here?

Then l remembered that Silvia was once his wife to be but l had ruined that. I moved behind a wall to avoid being seen by him.

"I want to see Miss Silvia Paula," l heard him tell the receptionist.

The receptionist picked up the telephone and murmured a few words into the mouth piece.

"Her office is on the last floor. Office number 28," she said as she replaced the telephone on it's cradle.

"Thanks beautiful," he drawled.

"It's my pleasure sir," the receptionist responded , smiling shyly.

Ferracco winked at her before walking towards the elevators. The poor girl was left blushing like a tomato. I rolled my eyes heavenward.

That was how he lured me into his trap!

He had flashed me that lazy grin and my insides had turned into a mush. I glared at him as he strode towards the row of elevators and an idea suddenly popped up into my head. I took another elevator and discreetly followed him.

A/N: Thank you for reading to this point . l appreciate it.

Don't forget to follow ,vote and comment. Let me know what you think of the story.