Part 21 - A Farewell

Back at the mansion
—————————————

Hiro let's out a deep breathe.
"I cannot be here any longer, I'm sure you all understand that" Hiro says
"Ever since they first started injecting me with the Klaxosaur blood, I haven't been the same since. It's like I would suddenly get these urges and I can't stop them.

Everyone's faces suddenly change and the room feels gloomy.

"But why? What are these urges?" Says Mitsuru

Hiro clenches his fists tightly.

"I get these urges to..." he bites his lip
"I get these urges to kill" his fists tighten even more.

"They've just gotten worse and I fear that one day, things might go out of hand."
Hiro begins to tear up. The room stays silent.

"So where will you go?" Ask's Ichigo

Hiro wipes his eyes.

"Probably back to the plantation to fight off the Klaxosaurs"

Zero Two stands up suddenly.

"You will not be going there! They'll kill you!"

Hiro says nothing and looks down toward his empty plate.
Zero Two suddenly realised his intentions.

"Wait...you want them to kill you, don't you?!" Yells Zero Two

"I'll come with you! Surely we ca-" Hiro interrupts her and looks at her with his tearful eyes.

"No Zero Two, you must stay here with everyone else, this urge to kill goes for you as well..."

Hiro stands up holding his head high, sniffling and wiping away the tears in his eyes.

"I was a lost cause from the start, none of you should've ever saved me" he clenches his knuckles

"That's not true! You gave us a purpose! We are free from the shackles of Papa now! You saved us!" Says Ichigo
"We cannot just give up on you!"

Ichigo begins to cry.

"All the trouble we went through to bring you back shouldn't be in vain!"

Goro goes to comfort her. She calms down.

"Ichigo...everyone....I understand why you're all so reluctant but me even being the here is hard, I've done what I could to control my outbursts and urges, but day by day, they just get worse, I don't know what I'd do if I killed someone, I couldn't live with myself..."

Hiro clenches his fists so tightly that it pierces through his skin. Blood starts to drip from his hand but it's not red blood.

Zero Two holds his hand.

"Is there anything we can do?"

Hiro shakes his head in despair.

"Believe me...I really don't want to leave you guys but-"
Zero Two shushes over him and wraps a cloth around his hand. The cloth soaks up his blue blood.

"Darling...please stay... we can help you through this." Says Zero Two.

Hiro stays quiet.

"I'm sorry everyone...I'll leave as soon as I can."
He tries to run off but nine alpha grabs his hand.

"So you're saying we gave up our lives for nothing?" He says
"We risked absolutely everything for only you to throw away!" Yells Nine.

Hiro does and cannot say anything.

Nine looks up and down his body.

"Whatever, do what you want" he lets go of Hiro.
Hiro runs off into his room, probably packing his things and getting ready to leave.

The blue blood stain sticks to the carpet, they'll probably never get it out now.

The table silently breaks down. A solid few minutes and no one dared to touch their food, instead they sat in silence as if saying a hidden prayer. Many tears falling from their faces, having to accept the harsh reality of the situation.

"Everyone, chin up! If Hiro really is going, we need to learn to live without him, that's all we can do..." says Ichigo trying to brighten the mood.

The forks and knives start to clink at the table again.

"I'm sorry. I no longer have an appetite, eat without me"
Zero Two walks up and sits outside next to a pillar, she stares at the stars above her wondering what to do.
Her life suddenly felt meaningless again even though Hiro was still with her. What could she do? How could she save him from his demise?

——————————————————

An hour goes by, she sits in the same spot, waiting quietly for Hiro to exit the mansion. The others have presumably gone to sleep, though she can hear the silent wimpers in the rooms.

Footsteps from behind approach her, she turns her head and sees Hiro with a bunch of bags.

"Z-zero two..." says Hiro

"Sorry, I was waiting for you." She says

He places himself beside her. They look up at the stars presumably for the last time.

"You know if you do go back there, they really will kill you." Zero Two says in a calming tone.

"I know." Hiro responds.

Their hands start to shrivel and suddenly their fingertips touch each other. Hiro folds his hands over Zero Two's and continues to stare up at the glisten sky.

"I'll find a cure" Hiro says.
"And when I do, I'll come right back here"

Zero Two smiles hoping maybe one day he will return.

"If you think this is the best..."

Hiro stares at Zero Two.

"Do me a favour, don't put yourself down, you're the reason I'm still alive today. I know it may seem I'm about to get myself killed but I won't go down without a fight"
"I'll do everything in my power to make sure I return here and when I do, I'll be human again" says Hiro.

Zero Two is startled.

"You better return" Zero Two says tugging on his sleeve.

"I promise I will" Hiro replies.

Hiro stands up staring at Zero Two for one last time. His eyes begin to fill with tears.

Everyone is inside the house overhearing the conversation. Streams of tears fall down their faces.

"I'll be back" Hiro says.
"Goodbye everyone"

But just as Hiro is about to walk off, an arrow flies out of no where and hits Hiro in the chest. Hiro collapses to the ground.
It's Dr Franxx and a few other soldiers.

They found the mansion.